Rotisserie question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
On the Onlyfire rotisserie, is the counter weight next to the handle necessary! I’m guessing it is but in a way it makes no sense to me. If the spit is loaded why add the counter weight? Thanks for any insight.

Reactions: gmc2003
On the Onlyfire rotisserie, is the counter weight next to the handle necessary! I’m guessing it is but in a way it makes no sense to me. If the spit is loaded why add the counter weight? Thanks for any insight.
When putting on a bird the meat weight is not distributed equally on both sides. The weight should be on the bottom side of the bird, this helps keeping a smooth rotation.

The piece that threads down into the spit next to the handle keeps the rotisserie in place so it won't pull out during the cook. You want the piece pretty much centered, so nothing rubs or hits anything while spinning. RAY
DSCN4312.JPG

Last edited:
The piece that threads down into the spit next to the handle keeps the rotisserie in place so it won't pull out during the cook. You want the piece pretty much centered, so nothing rubs or hits anything while spinning. RAYView attachment 652442
I also use a pair of pliers to make sure all the thumb screws are tight, they have a knack for loosening up during the cook.

Sometimes the counter weight is needed when spinning an irregular shaped protein such as a yardbird or turkey where the breasts are deeper than the back. What will happen is that the rotisserie will speed up on the down swing and slow down on the upswing.
The counter weight will even out the rotisserie's speed.
When using the rotisserie, I do a dry run on the kettle with no fire to check the balance of the rotation to see if the counter weight is needed. As clifish clifish said above, with breast pointing up, place the counter weight pointing down. You can also fine tune the counter placement.

Stu

Mine doesn't have a counter weight , or maybe it was missing . I haven't had any flop with mine .
Hard to see , but if you look at the cavity side of the bird , I used an onion as a plug . Sometimes I use a potato . Centered on the shaft , then wedges inside the cavity .
1672074290467.jpeg

View attachment 652445
Ok thank you all much.
So I would lock this down on the opposite side of the heavy breast say, and this will rotate with the spit counter balancing the meats lopsidedness? That make more sense than just hanging there.

Yep, center the counter weight between the handle and the bushing then check the clearance and tighten snuggly. It is usually far enough away from the lid to not interfere. Also, check the clearance between the lid and thumb screw on the spitrod bushing. The thumbscrew will hit the lid if if it's too close. I leave the bushing on the spitrod so I don't need to repostion it in the future.

I didn't have anything like that come with mine. Just as well, it would confuse me, Stu seems to know what to do with it. I haven't moved the bushing on the spitrod since I put it on. RAY
Ray, I thought I saw were the counter weight was included with the pizza oven ring version too.

Reactions: gmc2003
You guys had me worried about the counter weight. I just checked mine and it's there.

Chris

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thanks again to everyone. The weather is really nice here at least for today big storm coming Tuesday and will stay through the weekend, so will likely spin something today, now what to spin, chicken I guess.

View attachment 652445
Ok thank you all much.
So I would lock this down on the opposite side of the heavy breast say, and this will rotate with the spit counter balancing the meats lopsidedness? That make more sense than just hanging there.
When I do a bird, I set the skewered bird on top of a deep casserole dish and let the heavy side rotate down, then I put the counter weight opposite of that, outward close to the handle so there is no chance of hitting the ring.

When I do a bird, I set the skewered bird on top of a deep casserole dish and let the heavy side rotate down, then I put the counter weight opposite of that, outward close to the handle so there is no chance of hitting the ring.
Makes perfect sense now.

I looked in the shed where I keep the pizza stone that I'll never use that came with the spinner, didn't find a counter weight. Might be wrapped up with the pizza stone and peel, if it is it can just stay there, up to this point everything has worked just fine, can't see where I'd need it. Not a lot of room on the little lamb roast, think I have the Tappecue installed where it won't be too near the spit. I've done this before so I have a fair idea of how much time it will take. All set to go, punched full of garlic cloves, just S&P. RAY
DSCN4313.JPG

Use the same blue Klein I got from my FIL - he was 35 years as a Local 3 electrician in NYC.
Probably a long shot but my grandfather was a master plumber for the NYC school system. Wonder if they crossed paths at some point when your dad was starting out.

sawhorseray sawhorseray looks like your all set to spin. Nice looking lamb roast. My weight was packed in the cardboard box with the motor.

Chris

Probably a long shot but my grandfather was a master plumber for the NYC school system. Wonder if they crossed paths at some point when your dad was starting out.

sawhorseray sawhorseray looks like your all set to spin. Nice looking lamb roast. My weight was packed in the cardboard box with the motor.

Chris
who knows, different unions but anyting is possible

I think the main reason for the counterweight is to ease the burden on the motor. If it's perfectly balanced, you wouldn't need it, but that hardly ever happens. The test is to twirl the spit with your fingers. If you can't, install the counterweight to keep your motor happy. :-)

Edit: You can get a counterweight at onegrill. They have everything you need.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky