Rotisserie chicken on a Weber 22" kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robrpb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 15, 2020
Royal Palm Beach, FL
I decided to smoke a chicken on my Weber 22" kettle using the rotisserie today. I used SPOG to season the chicken and for the fire I used oak logs. I am still learning how to manage the wood fire, but I was pleased with the results. The only problem was the skin was not crispy, but I blame myself for that becuase I didn't leave the chicken uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. That was because I was planning to cook the chicken differently and changed my mind this morning. Other than not having crispy skin the chicken was very tasty and moist. Thanks for looking.

Rob

Attachments

• Chicken 1 - 2021-03-14.jpg
    Chicken 1 - 2021-03-14.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Chicken 2 - 2021-03-14.jpg
    Chicken 2 - 2021-03-14.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 46
Looks great to me, any way to fit 2 birds on it?
Thanks Mike. I haven't tried, but I believe there is room for two chickens. I have attached a photo from the first time I used the rotisserie and you can see the extra room on each side.

Attachments

• Chicken 3.jpg
    Chicken 3.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 45
Fantastic piece of work Rob, huge like! Spinning a yardbird on a Weber the way you did takes some real talent, looks great, really impressive. RAY

Reactions: robrpb
Rob nice job on the yard bird, I love spinning poultry
Richie
Thanks Richie. I have only done three chickens this way and I enjoy the smoke flavor. I need to learn how to better control the fire to smoke both ends evenly.

Thanks Richie. I have only done three chickens this way and I enjoy the smoke flavor. I need to learn how to better control the fire to smoke both ends evenly.
Rob I only use charcoal I set it up on both sides with a pan in the middle. Then I light one end on one side, and the opposite on the other.
Richie

Reactions: chopsaw and robrpb
Looks great! I can't wait to use mine.
Thanks Steve. I think you will enjoy it.

Rob

Rob I only use charcoal I set it up on both sides with a pan in the middle. Then I light one end on one side, and the opposite on the other.
Richie

Thanks Richie, I will try that the next time. Do you add any wood chunks for smoke flavor? Rob

Thanks Steve. I think you will enjoy it.

Rob

Thanks Richie, I will try that the next time. Do you add any wood chunks for smoke flavor? Rob
Yes small ones staggered in the coals. Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Great color on that bird . I like the skin rendered down on a roast chicken .
I need to learn how to better control the fire to smoke both ends evenly.
Might try turning the lid during the cook . Set up like Richie suggested . Then spin the lid 180 half way through the cook time .
By the looks of it , you got it figured out already . Nice work .

Reactions: robrpb
Looks Real Good from here, Rob!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, I really appreciate your kind words.

Rob

Great color on that bird . I like the skin rendered down on a roast chicken .

Might try turning the lid during the cook . Set up like Richie suggested . Then spin the lid 180 half way through the cook time .
By the looks of it , you got it figured out already . Nice work .
Thanks chopsaw for your encouragement. Unfortunately, the skin looked better than it tasted It was not crispy, but that was my fault. During the cook one side of the bird was cooked more than the other and I kept trying to adjust the fire to compensate and then I thought I would just try turning the rotisserie 180 degrees because of the way the fire was and it worked. I do like Richie's suggestion and I am going to try that next time. I think it will work better than what I have been doing.

Rob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky