Rolled smoked meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
After tx smoker tx smoker posted his smoked meatloaf thread I had to do it. I'm really busy with a major landscape project, that I am doing all of the work for, so I don't have the free time and am really beat at the end of the day so not much creative food going on here.

I went to Costco and bought some ground bison. They come in 1.25 lb packs so I added about 2/3 lb of homemade spicy Italian sausage.

I sliced up 1 1/8 Walla Walla sweet onion and sauteed it in butter for about 45 minutes on very low.

PXL_20220706_225319863.jpg

I made the usual meatloaf with egg, bread crumbs, some Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and the above ground meat blend.

Rolled it out flat to layer on the goodies, parm cheese, red chilli flakes, then the sauteed onions.

PXL_20220706_233918315.jpg
PXL_20220706_234032916.jpg

Rolled it up using the syran wrap it was flattened on. Sprinkled on some pepper and garlic powder.

PXL_20220706_234532034.jpg

Into the smoker with oak at 150° for 2hrs to pick up some smoke flavor and then 45 minutes at 225 and 40 minutes at 250. Pulled at IT 160°

PXL_20220707_032612775.jpg

And a slice.

PXL_20220707_033443474.jpg

Turned out as planned, would use better cheese next time, parm didn't add much. I'm not a cheese guy, should have asked the wife, next time.

Looks delicious! Nice smoke ring!
But as you said, it would be better with cheese running out! Sharp cheddar sounds good to me.
I bet it will be perfect next time!
Al

Reactions: Nefarious
That's some good looking stuff right there!! Looks like you got a great smoke ring. Very nice job...and hopefully the wife was happy :emoji_wink:

Robert

That's some good looking stuff right there!! Looks like you got a great smoke ring. Very nice job...and hopefully the wife was happy :emoji_wink:

Robert
Yes, wife was pleased. You are correct, going back to oven version will be difficult.

Man, that's one fine looking loaf! I love stuffing the loaf with caramelized onions, great touch! I'm with Al, cheddar oozing out of that baby would be a nice add. Big Like! RAY

Darn, I have to stop visiting the site so often. I think I am gaining weight just viewing everyone's cooks. Love the bare fattie!

But as you said, it would be better with cheese running out! Sharp cheddar sounds good to me.
Al

I'm with Al, cheddar oozing out of that baby would be a nice add. Big Like! RAY
Not sure how to get more cheese in the middle, the outside layer was already thin and hard to not break open. Will have to play with it some, maybe just lots of cheese at the start of the roll and thin out as I get closer to the end.

Not sure how to get more cheese in the middle, the outside layer was already thin and hard to not break open. Will have to play with it some, maybe just lots of cheese at the start of the roll and thin out as I get closer to the end.
I like to use shredded cheddar. I could have added more cheese to this one but it already had a bunch of meat in it and I didn't want it to explode while cooking it.

1657222639363.png

Meatloaf is now on the official “I have to try” list!
Not everyone likes meatloaf, I happen to really like it and as tx smoker tx smoker said in his thread, once you smoke it you will never go back. The bark was excellent, I could feel it when I cut the slices, and the smoke added a really nice flavor. I can't wait to smoke it with hickory, or cherry, and of course more different cheese.

Ground Bison is something I’ve never seen at Costco. Is it pretty lean? That meatloaf looks great and it was a great method you used.
You are correct, it was 90/10 I added the Italian sausage to get a little more fat but not too much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky