Roasted Hatch Chilies and Making Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I wonder if even the skin gets so dried that it grinds to powder easily.
Are you wondering about the skin on just a hatch , or in general ?
This is an end of season assortment I did a couple years back . Ended up with a smokey sweet powder with a heat that sneaks up on you . I ground the peppers whole . Seeds , membranes and skins . Some were smoked . I guess you could sift it out and regrind , but I like it like this .
1630157337560.jpeg
Carolina Reaper powder I got from Richie . Good stuff . I don't think he skinned these . I know I wouldn't want to . I'm not gonna even open the bag to take the pic . Lol .
1630157302877.jpeg

This is an end of season assortment I did a couple years back . Ended up with a smokey sweet powder with a heat that sneaks up on you . I ground the peppers whole . Seeds , membranes and skins . Some were smoked . I guess you could sift it out and regrind , but I like it like this .
View attachment 509086
Carolina Reaper powder I got from Richie . Good stuff . I don't think he skinned these . I know I wouldn't want to . I'm not gonna even open the bag to take the pic . Lol .
View attachment 509085
Boy this would of saved me a lot of work! I seen so many post that you need take skin off on Hatch peppers fist. Should of tried for myself. Sometimes research hurts you!

My package delayed but hopefully get here early today. Do you rinse that rice or anything?
I don't rinse it.
I find the Vitacost brand doesn't have a strong root/earth smell or flavor at all compared to other brands. I just drain and use. Or if I need water I just pour the whole thing in liquid and all.
I've found with any Shiritaki/Konjac product that the cooking kills the root smell.

Also once you know it comes from a root the smell makes sense versus your brain thinking this thing came from a flour noodle making process :)

Much like with the smell of Tomatillos don't let it get to you as it goes away easy and doesn't even survive microwaving much less cooking at any level of heat.
Like Cauliflower this rice will pick up flavor of whatever you cook it with.

The Konjac root seems to be an amazing plant lol.

View attachment 509086
View attachment 509085
Was wondering about the Hatch skin. I know in general with Jalapenos, Chilitepin, and Chilipequins the skin dehydrates and grinds up no problem but those skins are not as thick.

I've never smoked/dehydrated a poblano or hatch chili with thicker skin but my hunch is that IF Chili de Arbol and those other smoked leathery Mexican peppers dehydrate and grind up fine then a hatch chile should do the same :)

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky