Roast Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Disclaimer I made this in a cast iron skillet, but it can also be made in a dutch oven, and we do when camping. When camping we set the oven up sop we can get it as close to 425° as possible. All that is required for this recipe is a whole chicken, 4 nice russet potatoes (8 Yukon can be used) olive oil and spices.

As I do with all birds that I cook I rubbed the bird down with a mixture of kosher salt and baking powder (2 tablespoons salt 1 teaspoon BP) and placed the bird on a rack and into the fridge overnight to air dry.

Preheat Dutch oven to 425°. If using this in a conventional oven you need to preheat the dutch oven of skillet too.

Slice pototoes into 1/4" thick rounds. I like to soak the slices in cold water for at least an hour, changing the water at least once. Drain and dry potato slices.
In a bowl combine potato slices with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with what ever you like. I used thyme, rosemary, salt & pepper. Mix well to get seasoning and oil on all slices.

Remove bird from fridge. Apply small amount of olive oil to bird. Season, again with whatever you like. I used SPOG plus rosemary and thyme. You can season between the skin and meat if you like. You can also add onion celery, etc to the cavity (I did not). If you like to use compound butter you can do that just omit the oil on the skin.

I very rarely truss a bird but for roasting I do.

Once the oven and pan (or dutch oven) have heated up, add one tablespoon of oil. Carefully place potato slices into the pan arrange to the sides leaving the center clear. Carefully place the chicken in the center of the skillet or dutch oven.

if cooking in an oven remove when breast reads 155°-160° . Let rest in dutch oven or skillet for at least 30 minutes. The internal temp will come up.

My taters weren't as brown as I like them so I put them back in with the oven at 475° to crisp them up.

The thighs, carcass, wings and drumsticks will be turned into a chicken stock. We ate the breasts.

49723817926_64ace70663_c.jpg

49724135217_43219429bc_c.jpg

49723283538_a8f85dd67e_c.jpg

49724134722_c3fe5ea6b5_c.jpg

49724134812_b6503ea18a_c.jpg

49723816126_b76bd1d277_c.jpg

49723816326_4d7c19eef5_c.jpg

49723817106_be82ec26ba_c.jpg

Makes me wanta cry seeing those pretty drums turned into stock. I wish I could reach inside the pic and grab a couple.

I've been eating drummies all week. In fact I just finished off three of them! They are my go to lunch item right now! So I figured these two could be sacrificed to the stock!

Here's one of two batches of oven fried drummies I've made this week alone!

49716801406_a5951e96ac_c.jpg

Ok you're forgiven LOL!

Crazy thing with the drummies is they have been the only chicken in stock. I'm fine with that becuase I love drummies. I haven't been fine with the price. normally pay $0.99/pound. Last batch was $3.99/pound! The whole bird (there were only two in stock, yes I bought both one for me one for my mom) was $5.00/pound yikes!

Crazy thing with the drummies is they have been the only chicken in stock. I'm fine with that becuase I love drummies. I haven't been fine with the price. normally pay $0.99/pound. Last batch was $3.99/pound! The whole bird (there were only two in stock, yes I bought both one for me one for my mom) was $5.00/pound yikes!
Funny because the only things not bought out here (at least a week ago when I went out last) is thighs, which is fine because we like them.
$5 lb for a bird? Yikes!
I'm making a grocery run tomorrow. We'll see...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky