roast beef like you get in the deli

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
what is the best way to make roast beef like you get in the deli ? i want to make my own for sandwiches and po boys and then put it in my freezer

Reactions: kruizer
Here's my last roast beef. Maybe some tips for ya. Many other ways to prepare it though

Jake gave some good info. Any cut from the Beef Round will work. Top Round is probably the most common for Deli Sliced Beef. It's one large muscle with no connective tissue or sinew. Bottom Round and Sirloin Tip, actually part of the Primal Round is also a good choice. All these cuts should be cooked to a Finished IT of no more than in the low 140's. So, pull 10 to 20° shy for large roasts and 5 to10° out for roasts 5# or less. For even more tender Beef, Top Sirloin, aka,Top Butt Roasts are a great choice. Cook in the same manner...JJ

i think you are missing the point of this thread , i know HOW to smoke a roast , what i want to do is make it TASTE like the ones from the deli . some of us like the way those taste !

Reactions: bill ace 350
i think you are missing the point of this thread , i know HOW to smoke a roast , what i want to do is make it TASTE like the ones from the deli . some of us like the way those taste !

I understand your issue. What I make is smoked beef. It don't taste like the deli roast beef. Is mine good? Yeah but not like the deli roast beef. Texture is different, taste it different. I don't know what they do.

Reactions: flatbroke
They've been cured or brined in some solution.
I interviewed with a meat packing plant once. Took the tour, and walked into a room with big vats of some kind of solution. In the vats were hundreds of beef roasts floating. The guy said that they process Arby roast beef.

Reactions: chopsaw
I interviewed with a meat packing plant once. Took the tour, and walked into a room with big vats of some kind of solution. In the vats were hundreds of beef roasts floating. The guy said that they process Arby roast beef.

Cured, they would be and taste like Corned Beef. But I agree that some have been injected with a Brine or Broth with Phosphate to retain moisture and WEIGHT! Got make that money!👍...JJ

Here's what a Boar's Head brand roast beef has listed for ingredients. Add the flavors you like, pump up your roast and enjoy.
Ingredients: Beef, Water, Less than 1.5% of Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Flavor, Tapioca Dextrin, Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Beef Broth, Natural Flavors.

Reactions: flatbroke
Exactly . Depends on what the OP is talking about . Pre-sliced , pre-packaged
Deli " style " roast beef contains cure 1 in some cases . Injected with caramel coloring that gives it the brown color all the way through . Like Arby's .
Land O Frost brand is an example .

Without Cure, it looks like this:
DSC03005-1-1.jpg

Bear

• Love
Reactions: Trigger01
Omak ham minus the cure should get you in the ballpark. I also think there is probably a long SV step.

thanks , i think bearcarver has what i am looking for , i knew i could find someone that knew the answer to my question on here
thanks again

Reactions: Bearcarver
Exactly . Depends on what the OP is talking about . Pre-sliced , pre-packaged
Deli " style " roast beef contains cure 1 in some cases . Injected with caramel coloring that gives it the brown color all the way through . Like Arby's .
Land O Frost brand is an example .

Well I'll be Damned! That Land O Frost has Nitrite as the last ingredient. If it still tastes like Roast Beef, it must be a very tiny amount of Nitrite...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky