• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ribs with the "Digi-Q"

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
I modified ribzilla with the BBQ-Guru,

Tried some ribs, among other things, just to see if it lived up to it's reputation

A few mods

and some apple,apricot glaze

The Guru was well worth the $$$

gotarace

Limited Mod
Joined Jan 27, 2011
Fantastic looking smoke...the ribs look Delicious.  Glad to hear your BBQ-Guru was a good investment.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Ribs look fantastic, glad the guru worked for you.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Great Looking Ribs!!

Did you really need the 25cfm Guru or could you get by with a smaller unit?

Todd

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
Great Looking Ribs!!

Did you really need the 25cfm Guru or could you get by with a smaller unit?

Todd
   Thanks Todd, I actually have two 25cfm fans, one on either side.

That's what their web site recommended for the size smoker i have.

It worked flawlessly, I really like the ramp down feature also

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
I went there and  the info for my SmokinTex is almost not there at all - what does this thing do for an electric smoker

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I bought a digi-Q for my WSM about 1 month ago. It was well worth it. The WSM does maintain very steady temps on it's own, but I think that you can achieve the most consistent BBQ by very close monitoring of the chamber temps. The Digi-Q will maintain any temp to + or - 2 degrees. Even in windy conditions, it works flawlessly. As long as there is fuel you can leave it unattended & it holds steady temps with little or no variation. Even my MES would vary 15 to 20 degrees in either direction as the element cycled on & off. Hard to believe that a charcoal/wood burner would be steadier than a watt burner, but it is.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Amazing, Rap !

And those ribbies look PERFECT !

Thanks,

Bear

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Awesome looking feast. What are those little bacon ball thingys?

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Couldn't tell if they were little weenys or peppers or what. Bet they were really good.

djm3801

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 14, 2011
Love the DIGI-Q. First time I ever used it was with a Weber Smokey Mountain. Overnight with a brisket and a pork butt and it is amazing.. Got an MES 40 on the way and will try electric next weekend!

hmcm

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 14, 2010
Those ribs look awesome!  Can you share that apple, apricot glaze recipe?  It looks spectacular!!!

teesquare

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 14, 2010
Great lookin ribs and MOINKS!

Question about the Guru: I understand that the fans/thermocouple work to keep the temp UP to the set point, by acting to "fan the fire" a bit.... But, what about temperature rise?  If you have a flare up, or for any reason the temp rises above your target temp settings, is the way for the Guru to bring the temp DOWN?

Thanks,

T

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Great lookin ribs and MOINKS!

Question about the Guru: I understand that the fans/thermocouple work to keep the temp UP to the set point, by acting to "fan the fire" a bit.... But, what about temperature rise?  If you have a flare up, or for any reason the temp rises above your target temp settings, is the way for the Guru to bring the temp DOWN?

Thanks,

T
When it first starts up it sometimes overshoots the temp. All it does is shut down & let the fire die down. On a long smoke it memorizes the way the temp fluctuates & cycles on and off as needed, to keep it right on the temp you set it at. I've run mine from 210 to 300 & it never had any problem holding whatever temp I set it at.

bigbbq9

Joined Feb 15, 2011
the ribs look great, where did you get the recipe for an apple apricot glaze at?  that sound like something i would love to try

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
the ribs look great, where did you get the recipe for an apple apricot glaze at?  that sound like something i would love to try
Thanks for the kind words,

I learned of the apricot glaze at a comp,I was camped near a team that shared it with me, They won 5th out of 39 teams in ribs!

I didn't really measure anything, i just went by taste. But i started with

3tbl sp  apricot preserves

3tbl sp  apple jelly

1tsp  butter

and blend very well

I will be using this on my ribs this weekend at the Triple B cookoff, So we'll see how it does.

I liked it very much, and it's better than a bbq sauce.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.