Ribs with the "Digi-Q"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raptor700

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 20, 2010
Crestview, Florida
I modified ribzilla with the BBQ-Guru,

Tried some ribs, among other things, just to see if it lived up to it's reputation

11cd40ed_102_0468.jpg

A few mods

and some apple,apricot glaze

f6a8cf2b_102_0554.jpg

0d78075d_102_0557.jpg

The Guru was well worth the $$$

c07e9bcf_102_0548.jpg

Great Looking Ribs!!

Did you really need the 25cfm Guru or could you get by with a smaller unit?

Todd

Great Looking Ribs!!

Did you really need the 25cfm Guru or could you get by with a smaller unit?

Todd
   Thanks Todd, I actually have two 25cfm fans, one on either side.

That's what their web site recommended for the size smoker i have.

It worked flawlessly, I really like the ramp down feature also

I went there and  the info for my SmokinTex is almost not there at all - what does this thing do for an electric smoker

I bought a digi-Q for my WSM about 1 month ago. It was well worth it. The WSM does maintain very steady temps on it's own, but I think that you can achieve the most consistent BBQ by very close monitoring of the chamber temps. The Digi-Q will maintain any temp to + or - 2 degrees. Even in windy conditions, it works flawlessly. As long as there is fuel you can leave it unattended & it holds steady temps with little or no variation. Even my MES would vary 15 to 20 degrees in either direction as the element cycled on & off. Hard to believe that a charcoal/wood burner would be steadier than a watt burner, but it is.

Great lookin ribs and MOINKS!

Question about the Guru: I understand that the fans/thermocouple work to keep the temp UP to the set point, by acting to "fan the fire" a bit.... But, what about temperature rise?  If you have a flare up, or for any reason the temp rises above your target temp settings, is the way for the Guru to bring the temp DOWN?

Thanks,

T

Great lookin ribs and MOINKS!

Question about the Guru: I understand that the fans/thermocouple work to keep the temp UP to the set point, by acting to "fan the fire" a bit.... But, what about temperature rise?  If you have a flare up, or for any reason the temp rises above your target temp settings, is the way for the Guru to bring the temp DOWN?

Thanks,

T
When it first starts up it sometimes overshoots the temp. All it does is shut down & let the fire die down. On a long smoke it memorizes the way the temp fluctuates & cycles on and off as needed, to keep it right on the temp you set it at. I've run mine from 210 to 300 & it never had any problem holding whatever temp I set it at.

the ribs look great, where did you get the recipe for an apple apricot glaze at?  that sound like something i would love to try

the ribs look great, where did you get the recipe for an apple apricot glaze at?  that sound like something i would love to try
Thanks for the kind words,

I learned of the apricot glaze at a comp,I was camped near a team that shared it with me, They won 5th out of 39 teams in ribs!

I didn't really measure anything, i just went by taste. But i started with

3tbl sp  apricot preserves

3tbl sp  apple jelly

1tsp  butter

and blend very well

I will be using this on my ribs this weekend at the Triple B cookoff, So we'll see how it does.

I liked it very much, and it's better than a bbq sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky