Ribs, Ribs, Ribs....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr dirt

Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Pacific Northwest
The Story:

Since having learned how to smoke I've never done ribs.  Why I don't know.  Maybe they were somewhat daunting in that if one doesn't do them right you end up with pork jerky.  While on a trip to Branson, MO I was gnawing on a bone thinking to myself, "This is OK".  The ribs were tender.  They release from the bone, but I never though to myself once, "These are fantastic", or "These are amazing".  The flavor was very close to any other chain rib joint I've been to in the past.  They taste like a commercial smoker.  Sure they have a light barely detectable smokiness which to the layman is probably fantastic.  With a little research on SMF for cooking times I knew I could do better.

The Ribs

Cut: Baby-back

Seasoning: Dry rubbed (Season Salt, Chili Powder, Garlic Power, Onion Powder)

Method: 3-2-1 (3hrs smoke @ 225-240F, 2hrs foiled with Apple Juice @ 250-275F, 1hr smoke @ 275-300F)

Wood: Oak

Q'er: SFB

Ambient Temperature: 38-23F

Not the worlds greatest ribs, but better than anything you will find at Rib Crib or Dickies.  I felt they were an excellent first attempt and now my methods will need find tuning.  All and all a good eat.

Before:

After:

They were so good I had to do a 2nd run the day after.

Last edited:
Nice lookin' ribs!

Have you made any mods to your Char Griller Pro yet?  If you didn't, be sure to do a forum search on mods from other members.  Simple mods can convert the CG Pro from a so-so pit into a decent BBQ machine.  Out of the box, the temp differential from side to side is ridiculous.  I did all of the standard mods (stack extension, charcoal basket and heat deflector plate) plus I added my own PID stoker and, for an el-cheapo pit, it works great!  Being I live in a northern climate, I throw welding blankets over the cooking chamber as well to retain heat.  My next upgrade would have been to seal the cook chamber with gasket, being CGs are pretty drafty, but the old CG Pro has sat all summer because I now have my pellet burning fridge conversion (Reefer Madness) that replaced it.

I, too, will never buy ribs at restaurants any more.  These places advertise as having great ribs, and, to date, haven't got any that measure up to my own. It is difficult to avoid the temptation to get restaurant ribs, but I do............except last night.  Ate at a Red Robin.  Had the riblets........they were gross!  The flavor was OK, but only because of the sauce.  The smoke flavor is in the sauce, not the meat.

Sorry for being windy, BBQ gets me excited!

Last edited:

Nice lookin' ribs!

Have you made any mods to your Char Griller Pro yet?  If you didn't, be sure to do a forum search on mods from other members.  Simple mods can convert the CG Pro from a so-so pit into a decent BBQ machine.  Out of the box, the temp differential from side to side is ridiculous.  I did all of the standard mods (stack extension, charcoal basket and heat deflector plate) plus I added my own PID stoker and, for an el-cheapo pit, it works great!  Being I live in a northern climate, I throw welding blankets over the cooking chamber as well to retain heat.  My next upgrade would have been to seal the cook chamber with gasket, being CGs are pretty drafty, but the old CG Pro has sat all summer because I now have my pellet burning fridge conversion (Reefer Madness) that replaced it.

I, too, will never buy ribs at restaurants any more.  These places advertise as having great ribs, and, to date, haven't got any that measure up to my own. It is difficult to avoid the temptation to get restaurant ribs, but I do............except last night.  Ate at a Red Robin.  Had the riblets........they were gross!  The flavor was OK, but only because of the sauce.  The smoke flavor is in the sauce, not the meat.

Sorry for being windy, BBQ gets me excited!
No problem on the wind, just keep it off my fire! LOL

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have a look at doing some mods.  I'm trying to decide if I should do anything with this old SFB or just build a smokehouse.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky