Ribs question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Aj33

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
Hi all,

We have a few friends over on the weekend for the first time since all this Covid stuff started (I’m in the U.K.).

as part of this I am doing a smoke and bbq. I have a St. Louis cut ribs and iberico pork baby backs (for some reason cut in half horizontally) and a piece of pork belly. All of which I plan to smoke in my mes30 using my AMNPS.

I do however have one fundamental question. How long can I leave the ribs on the smoke?

I am planning to smoke the St. Louis cut for around 5-6hrs (until they are ready) without wrapping adding the baby backs into the smoker about an hour or so later. I also need to add the pork belly around 3hrs before the ribs are likely to end.

the question i have really is, can I leave the ribs exposed to smoke for that length of time in order to smoke the belly also? Or will it be too long?

FYI, hoping to hit around 200f on the ribs. With the last hour being a glaze on one and a sauce on the other.

thanks for the help.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thank you all!

I suspected as much, however couldn’t remember what I did last time. Equally, the guests are not as used to eating smoked food as me so just didn’t want to overdo it through a simple error.

guess this makes the cook a bit more straight forward. Do my timings look ok? I will likely do the belly earlier because I am charring it with direct heat on the bbq later anyway.

There's good and bad smoke, so if you can your cooker to generate the "clear blue smoke" that's the holy grail of offset drivers, then you can not get too much.
If however the smoke is darker blue or god forbid gray, then yes you CAN oversmoke the meat.

The guys have you covered and you have good plan but for me ribs gotta be finished on a hot grill.

Aj33, I can't remember the last time I wrapped my ribs. That may change soon as Ma Dutch bought me a roll of pink butcher's paper and expects me to use it.
As for achieving the prefect "thin blue" when I add splits to the fire box, I leave the door ajar to insure that the wood catches on fire then I close the door. When I closed the door right after adding the splits, I get the billowing cloud of white smoke.

Have a successful smoke!

Assuming you've used the AMNPS before and are successful at keeping it supplied with air, it looks like you are set. Your guests are in for a treat!

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for your help. I have just posted a new thread with the results.

Assuming you've used the AMNPS before and are successful at keeping it supplied with air, it looks like you are set. Your guests are in for a treat!

Good Luck!

yeah I use it regularly. Never had a problem keeping it burning to be honest. The only issues I have is that when it hits a turn it pumps out all that extra smoke. That being said, never been an issue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky