Ribeyes on a pellet grill- tips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

annewaldron

Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
Will be putting two ribeyes on my pellet grill tonight. Am looking at the recipe book that came with and I like the one that recommends smoking for 30 minutes, then pulling steaks off, heating the grill to high (450) and cooking to desired doneness temp (for me that’s right around 128-130). I have oak, hickory, and maple to choose from, could possibly pick up some mesquite today. I also have a cast iron griddle I could put in there and throw them on at the last minute to sear.

What are your favorite ways to do steaks?

Reverse seared steaks are my favorite way. I don’t have a pellet grill so it gets a little more involved using a smoker and then searing on the grill or over a charcoal chimney.

I try to get as much smoke as possible. Thinner steaks I will go directly from the fridge to the smoker so they have more time in there. You could even throw them in the freezer for about 20-30mins to have them even longer in the smoke.

Definitely pull directly from fridge and place in the smoker @180º -ish. Hickory is my go to. It will come down to how thick they are. If prepackaged or precut my bet is they are on the thin side ie less than 1". With thin cuts you'll have to watch the IT carefully. Being thin, I suggest smoking until 110º, pull and rest for 5-7 min to allow the internals to stop cooking, then place on a HOT grill to sear 1-2 min per side or until your desired IT has been met.

On the purchasing side, I like to have steaks cut while I wait. Usually request minimum of 1.5" thickness and many times request 2" minimum.

I cook them on a screaming hot grill with a chunk of mesquite on top of one of the burners. A couple of minutes on each side & your ready to eat. Course we like them rare!
Al

The folks have you pretty well covered. Smoke steaks directly from the fridge for 30 minutes or so. If you have sear grates for the grill, put them on to start warming up also. Once smoked for a bit, remove from the grill and run the temp up. I did my last ones at 500 and they were perfect. You aren't going to get a decent sear at a temp lower than that without over cooking the steak. You can also do as suggested and flash blast them in a searing hot cast iron skillet. I just prefer mind done on the grill. Any of those will work or you can bring them to me. I have another grill that the sear burner will go to 1100*. I'll happily sear them for you, and of course do the mandatory quality control check to ensure perfection :emoji_laughing:

Just trying to help,
Robert

Reactions: annewaldron
Thanks for all the great info! I’m so glad you mentioned leaving them in the fridge and then putting them directly in the smoker. I’ve gotten so used to letting them sit out for an bit before I put them on the grill, but the logic is sound for getting a little bit more time in the smoke.

My steaks are about 1-1 1/4 inch thick. I usually prefer a thicker cut, but we have been trying out ButcherBox meats for a couple months and you get what they give you

I have a brand new Thermapen MK4 that I will be putting into service tonight to make sure my temps are on point. I had one for nearly 15 years until it croaked, and truly no other “instant read“ thermometer holds a candle to that brand (I’ve tried!).

I picked up some lumberjack brand Char-Hickory and Mesquite. Think I’m going to do a 70/30 blend.

Can’t wait- I’m already hungry!

I have done them on my YS640 several times. The advise you have gotten is solid. If you have grillgrates use them if not get your smoker as hot as it will go.
You should consider getting a leave in remote therm, thermoworks or what ever. It allows better monitoring of temps.

I'm happy that you got some useful info. the folks here are fantastic about sharing ideas and experience. I am however disappointed that you didn't accept my offer to bring them here so I could sear them for you :emoji_laughing: Oh well, I tired to help.

Now....this is a prerequisite. You must take lots of pictures from start to finish, including one of the plated meal highlighting the steaks, and post them for all of us to drool over. The mantra here is "no pics, never happened" and I'd hate to see that happen.

Ever helpful,
Robert

Sorry- wish I could have shared these with you but there were NO leftovers- excellent!!!
  • 70/30 char-hickory to mesquite
  • A little combo of Lynchburg steak seasoning and Lane’s Ancho Espresso rub
  • Smoke setting ‘til about 100°
  • Pulled (got too hungry/impatient haha)
  • Cranked up to 450 then cooked ‘til JUST 130°
Perfection!

Attachments

• 87F43699-F7BF-49C4-9BF4-101214B543BB.jpeg
    87F43699-F7BF-49C4-9BF4-101214B543BB.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: texomakid
Ok....you win. Those look absolutely amazing!! What is your overall assessment of the finished product and did our responses help in any way? Next time though, even if it's a burger prepared with the same apparent love you showed these steaks, please document it. We love Q-View around here :emoji_laughing:

Hoping we helped at least a little it,
Robert

Smoke flavor was amazing, although I’m not sure what/how much the “char” in the char-hickory brought to the flavor profile. Next time may try straight 70/30 hickory/mesquite.

I was a bit impatient with the smoke setting and time taken to get up to temp, but I started later than I should have. I’ll fire it up earlier next time.

Beef was tender as all get-out and crazy juicy. Perfect med-rare. Kept asking my BF if it was too rare for him- I like it pretty rare/med-rare (which is more like true med-rare and not chain restaurant med-rare)

All the advice here was great- putting them on cold, while it took a little longer, produced an excellent smoke flavor profile. Not too little, not too much.

I was fine with the amount of sear, although I’m keeping grill grates on my wish list- I can handle a little more char. May test out the cast iron next time, just to see what it does.

Thanks to all of you, I’ll call this a team win!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky