Ribeye with a Bourbon Mushroom Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate52

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Queensbury, NY
Finished my smoker build yesterday, and did a small pork loin to test it. Came out perfect, but that was just a snack. My first real meal was a thick cut ribeye with a bourbon sauce.

Ribeye is easily my favorite cut of meat, and discovering and perfecting new ways to cook it is a hobby. So when I decided to build a smoker, I knew it was going to be on the list.

Last week, I saw some tomahawks at Walmart for $11something/lb, and figured that would be a good place to start. I don't really care for the bone, or the unnecessary extra cost, but wanted something thick. Fortunately, by the time I got there Saturday afternoon, they were out. I was a little disappointed at the time, because I thought the only other option for ribeye that thick would be a higher priced piece from another store. I looked around and was surprised to find these thick cut ribeyes for $12.49/lb. The thickest one was pushing 2", so I grabbed it. It looks a like an odd shape from the packaging, but it really wasn't a bad cut of meat.
20210808_114401.jpg

I gave it about a few hours in the fridge with a generous coating of kosher salt and garlic pepper. I took it out about an hour and a half before cooking to let it warm up.

It went into the smoker at about 275°. I used hardwood charcoal with a lump of hickory. In the water pan, I poured in about a quarter cup of bourbon and then added water. I ended up losing a little heat in the smoker and it settled in at around 250° for the rest of the smoke. It took just over an hour to hit 130°IT. I rubbed on an extra thin coat of olive oil and threw it on the gas grill to finish. My grill runs extremely hot when all 6 burners are on high (about 700°) so I gave it about a minute and a half on each side.
20210808_182335.jpg

I let that rest while I made my sauce and sliced it right before serving.
20210808_182642.jpg

Perfect level of pink for my household. And held a nice consistent color, even with the hot sear at the end.

Here's the finished product. The wife and one out of three kids loved it. So this should become a regular thing. And naturally, I had to pair the bourbon sauce with a side sipper.

20210808_183429.jpg

Also, this is the recipe I used for the sauce. The only difference is that I used regular bourbon instead of maple, and doubled the amount of stock because it was just too thick and floury. But that might be partially due to the fact that we recently upgraded to a gas stove from electric and I'm still getting used to it.
https://www.kudoskitchenbyrenee.com/steak-bourbon-mushroom-sauce/

Dang good looking plate. Thinking I could make a meal out of the 'shrooms and bourbon sauce!

Jim

That amount of Roux would thicken 2 Cups Broth to Gravy or 3 Cups to a silky Sauce.

The Steak is perfect. Those Potatoes are a favorite here...JJ

I was thinking that when I was adding the flour, but I don't have a lot of experience with roux. I'm much better with cream sauces. So I just followed the recipe and assumed there was was a method to the madness. I feel kind of like the people that drive through a line of cones onto a construction site, just because that's where the gps says to go. I got lucky and was able to thin it out and finish it with a better consistency.

Come to think of it, I also added another tablespoon or two of butter before the flour because I didn't think it was enough.

The potatoes were good, but you can see in the picture that they were a little over salted. That's a bit of a trademark for the wife.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Now that's a plate I can sink my teeth into! That there steak is perfectly done to me! Congrats on the smoker build.
Erik

Very nice . Perfect cook on the steak , and your sauce looks way better than the one on the web site .
The web site " sauce " looks like a drop dumpling that was boiled to long .
Bet the flavor is really good tough .

Nice work .

Excellent Job on the Best Steak there is!!
Nice Job!!
Like.
Love me some Shrooms Too!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky