Ribeye storage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
Hey all, sorry it's been a minute since I've posted. I have another large cook coming up. I chose to smoke some beef rib roasts. I know better than to say "prime rib".

So I just bought 93 lbs today and it is all still cryovacced. I do not have a kill date but it just came to the store today. I know that doesn't tell much. The Cook is on Feb 26, so 18 days away.

Am I safe to leave this refrigerated, not frozen, in cryovac bags for 18 days?

Hey all, sorry it's been a minute since I've posted. I have another large cook coming up. I chose to smoke some beef rib roasts. I know better than to say "prime rib".

So I just bought 93 lbs today and it is all still cryovacced. I do not have a kill date but it just came to the store today. I know that doesn't tell much. The Cook is on Feb 26, so 18 days away.

Am I safe to leave this refrigerated, not frozen, in cryovac bags for 18 days?
My gut says yes, as I am sure they would have it in the case at a store longer than that, but I would not trust a gut reaction with that quantity. I will wait for other more qualified posts.

Reactions: chopsaw and Ringer
I have some that the packed date and the sell by date are 40 days on beef . Common number in my experience is at least 30 days . Just make sure your fridge temp is 36 to 38 degrees . I keep an alarmed therm in the fridge I hold meat in .

Edit to say 30 days from packing date . Just to be clear .

Here ya go . tag from the last one I bought .
1675884552372.jpeg

Reactions: Marknmd and Ringer
Also make sure there isn't a pin hole in the vac packs as well. If air gets in, then the long-term hold is no good....... I hold vac packs like chop for a couple of weeks all the time, but cold fridge is the key!

Reactions: Ringer and chopsaw
Done the same thing too, worried about the extended time, but never had a problem. So I think you are good, as long s the cryovac has not been compromised.
Al

Reactions: Ringer
After several days of monitoring, my fridge is keeping them between 37 and 39. I think I'm safe to hold them until the cook.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Well I might be in trouble folks. The temp in the fridge crept up to 43. My thermometer may be off. The meat is still cryovacced.

What now

While this doesn't directly address the 43º question, chef jimmyj (RIP) had this to say. Sounds like the sniff test is in order at this point. ...

"Six weeks is the typical time it will hold vac-packed. Keeping really cold <36°F, you could get 8 weeks. Sealed and cold there is some bacterial stuff going on, very slooowly but there is also enzymatic changes. These tenderize but also add a bit of increasing funk that not all are used to. When you open the pac it will have smell but this should dissipate in a minute or two. If fairly strong from pushing the limit, a wash will usually help. If after a wash it is still just nasty, you waited too long.

You should have no issue going 6-7 weeks, from pack date, then unpack and wash, dry and hit it with a heavy coat of rub containing salt. This can buy another 5 days kept cold as possible...JJ"

Reactions: Marknmd
Well tomorrow is the Cook. I guess I'll sniff test them tomorrow then bring them up to 140.

I real question... what happens if the nose says NO ??? My concern would be getting a bunch of people sick.

Very good to hear that. Was concerned for ya. Hope your cook goes great, show us some pix if you can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky