• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rib rubs

Zacknes96

Joined May 21, 2019
Should I use different rubs for baby back vs spare ribs? I feel babybacks are meant to be a little sweeter as spare ribs are more just salt and peppers.
Thanks

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Should I use different rubs for baby back vs spare ribs? I feel babybacks are meant to be a little sweeter as spare ribs are more just salt and peppers.
Thanks
You really don't need to use a different rub. I use the same homemade rub on ribs, pork butts, and chicken.
If you sauce during the last hour, you could always adjust the sweetness of the sauce.

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
i'm with secondhand, I do have a couple different rubs I like that I use, it doesn't matter the meat to me it's more of which one i'm in the mood for. and of course I will try new recipes once in a while to see how they are.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I have one rub that I use on just about everything, but on occasion I try some new ones!
Al

oldsmokerdude

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2018
I fall squarely in SmokinAl's camp, I use the same rub on (almost) everything. BUT, it really boils down to what do you like best?

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Same here same rub most all the time once in awhile change just for a different taste.

Warren

krj

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 23, 2009
Same from me, I have a standard rub that I use for everything. Not saying I don't experiment with other types of rubs occasionally, but for the most part I'm really happy with what I use. And it gives me the flavors I want on every type of meat.

tander28

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 7, 2016
I rotate between a few rubs. Got the "fab five" from Meat Church for Christmas and have been using a ton of the honey hog hot on ribs. It's really good stuff!

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I worked out a rub I like a couple of years ago and use it on everything Porky. Just salt & pepper on Beef and Chicken with an assortment of sauces on Chicken after it's done...

ItsMeAgain

Joined Dec 22, 2019
I have used several rubs but depending on how fast you use them up, the store bought ones always seemed to get petrified into a brick that was impossible to get loose from the bottle.

bbbr.JPG

Several months ago I was running out and found one I wanted to try on Amazon. I LOVE how it works and it still has not stuck together at all; it pours as easy as the day I opened it and we use it on chicken and on pork. I lean towards a Stubbs product for my brisket

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.