rib rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glued2it

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Tulsa
well I'm in a predicament. My wife brought home some spare ribs tonite and want's me to cook them tomorrow. OKay 3-2-1 here we go again.
but the problem is I don't have any rub. Nor do I have money to go buy ingrediant's. (tough week) I have some basic stuff but man I don't know what to do.

I have some rubs people bought me trying to be nice. I don't have the heart to tell them, I don't wan't there crap LOL.
I might have to use one of them though.

any quick fixes or suggestions?

With out having any ingredients to make your own, I am thinking you may have to suffice and make a guinea pig out of one of your store bought and/or mix a few together. Never know, you might find something you like !!! Look at the positive side, you will still be smoking and eating !!!

Can't go wrong w/salt(k.salt if ya can) and pepper. Keep it simple, maybe add some garlic and onion pwdr. Little sugar doesn't hurt either(couple tbs/rib).

If table salt, go VERY easy on it, VERY!!!

Good luck

Or don't spend ANY money on spices! Ya got a good wife there, buy her a rose! Anyone who will buy meat for the smoker when money is tight ranks right under "The Big Man" in my book. Give her a nerdy "high 5" from me!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Watch the store brands, very high in salt and can ruin the ribs. Salt it yourself! They use salt as a "filler", IMHO.

Last week I did some ribs with just black pepper and kosher salt for the rub. I was trying out some new sauce recipes and didn't want the rub to interfere with the sauces. They seemed to work just fine... tasted good, although probably not as good as a good rub would do.

So if you have a good sauce on hand, you might want to try more or less "naked" ribs.

I have used some Great store bought Rubs, and Durkees Chicken/Rib rub is my Fav. What do you have in the house for spices??
You can always go with Salt/Pepper and some good smoke for you ribs...
This is whats fun about smoking, trying new things and sometimes they work and some times they don't .. But even when they don't the mistakes still taste good... Just not Great..
Rub with some OO and let your imagination take over.. It's only a piece of meat.. Smoke On...

well I have some kosher salt, pepper onion and garlic powder the usually stuff. I'm just somewhat of a perfectionist and I like what I like.

But I'm willing to improvise. I will smoke rub or not because I'm deticated!

I do have one that looks promising. It's "steven raichlen all-purpose barbecue rub"
http://www.bestofbarbecue.com/

anybody ever tried this stuff?

How bad can it be eh?

He's doing something right as he has sold alot of books, rubs, tools, etc. I personally am not a big fan of the "Raich", too commercialized......similar to Emeril, but Steve is MUCH higher on my list than Emeril..........but that is another story.

Good luck, you gotta brain.........use it! You may find the next best "mix" for ribs!!!

That is the one I started with.... not bad at all. Like it says, basic.

You said she brought home some, but not how many. Do some with the basic rub, some with s&p, and go from there.... sometimes, just s&P is great for something basic and simple. If by chance you have any pineapple in the house, lay some on the ribs, and spray use the juice when you wrap them.... my wife loves them that way. You may want to cut the juice with a little water or apple juice as it can sometimes be a little strong.

Hope this helps too.

Bill

I used all the pineapple on dutch's beans. But I have some aj I use to spritz butts.

2 racks

Can't go wrong with garlic, onion, salt and pepper in my book! Now if you didn't have at least those I'd be worried!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Got a bit of paprika? Or chilli powder?

Give the store-bought a try. It's not "yours", but it can be good. I'm also a fan of the Durkees Chicken/Rib rub, but I can't find it anymore. I'll have to start working on my own rib rub now. BTW, I just smoked some BB ribs Friday night (didn't foil them, so will reheat in the crockpot with some liquid to try to save them) and used a commercial rub. It's ok and will work in the type of pinch you're in. Remember, it's just got to taste good. It doesn't matter if you bought it or made it...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky