Rib Redemption

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Two weeks ago I smoked some ribs and they came out terrible. All the right steps etc were taken but the result was disappointing. Afterwards I sat down and thought my way through how the smoke went. Came to the conclusion I wouldn't have changed anything so chalked it up to a bad rack from a supplier where we don't usually purchase meat. Needless to say the need to prove to myself I wasn't the cause has been at the front of my skull. So, picked up a rack of babybacks from our usual butcher this time. Left the membrane on to help with moisture, lightly sprayed with oil, sprinkled with kosher salt, applied the usual rub to the whole rack and a second rub to my half that has a bit more heat. Cyd doesn't care for spicy. Smoked at 240º and spritzed a couple of times with apple juice until tender. (Toothpick and bend tests were enough to know they were there) Sauced and pulled after another 15 minutes.

While all of that was happening, I had soaked some fresh bi-colored corn in the sink for 30 min. Put them on the grill, turning every 5 minutes until ready, which is approximately 20-25 minutes. Corn is so much more flavorful this way than just boiling in water. The added benefit is all the silk comes off when you peel it. The weather had broke here and the temps were flat perfect so we eat outside on the back patio. Oh, the ribs.... Cyd cleaned her plate faster than I've ever seen her in 47 years of wonderful marriage.

Redemption, complete! :emoji_sunglasses:

IMG_5023.jpg
IMG_5024.jpg

Btw, after all the experiments with BBQ sauces (see another post) these were covered with Rum Sweet Heat which is our goto for ribs. Recipe in the sig below.

Last edited:
Looks great Matt , and I know what you mean about redemption . I agree , that's a great way to do corn . It actually cooks the silk away .
Nice cook bud .

Reactions: schlotz
They look good, good to see your not a quitter
If I can't spell it, I can't do it! :emoji_wink: Thanks Jim

Looks great Matt , and I know what you mean about redemption . I agree , that's a great way to do corn . It actually cooks the silk away .
Nice cook bud .

Thanks Rich. No question it's the best way to do corn.:emoji_blush:

Wow some great looking ribs and view as well! Never grilled corn with the husk on before. I usually peel and then grill but now you have me intrigued to give it a shot given your great results!

Way to go Matt!! Congrats on the redemption. those are some fine looking ribs right there. Very well done buddy.

Robert

Wow some great looking ribs and view as well! Never grilled corn with the husk on before. I usually peel and then grill but now you have me intrigued to give it a shot given your great results!
Thanks John. Soak 'em for 30 min then grill 'em. A bit hot when you peel them so be careful!

Matt, nice come back from the previous smoke. I'm going to have to try my corn your way.

Rob
Thanks Rob. Pretty sure you will like corn this way. Lot less to mess with on the prep too!

Way to go Matt!! Congrats on the redemption. those are some fine looking ribs right there. Very well done buddy.

Robert
Appreciate that Robert, thanks!

Looks really good. Was the corn on the grill done on high temp? How long did you soak it?
Soak them submerged (I place a plate over them with a mug on top) for 30 min, then on to a med high grill. Turn them every 5 min. Usually done in 20-25 min, depends on size. I usually shoot for 22 . I try to find the smaller to medium size ears.

Yes sir, Matt!! Nice mulligan!!
Thanks Charles!

Sorry I’m late Matt! Those look like a grand slam redemption to me! Wow! I can see why the plate was cleaned in record time! Awesome come back, points for sure.

Sorry I’m late Matt! Those look like a grand slam redemption to me! Wow! I can see why the plate was cleaned in record time! Awesome come back, points for sure.
Thanks Jed! These confirmed my suspicion that after smoking them the same, the previous rack was just a bad rack of meat.

Nice looking rack of ribs Matt

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!

Way to get back up on the horse. Nicely done!
Had a rack a few weeks ago that were just tough as could be. Don't usually wrap, but these were with a little butter and Root Beer ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) but they just were not to our liking at all, so I chalk it up to a poor rack.

Way to get back up on the horse. Nicely done!
Had a rack a few weeks ago that were just tough as could be. Don't usually wrap, but these were with a little butter and Root Beer ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) but they just were not to our liking at all, so I chalk it up to a poor rack.
It happens, kinda disappointing given the work you put in expecting good results only to discover the meat didn't cooperate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky