Rib question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As RdknB said, they shouldn't need more than about 2 hours in the foil if you are at about 225 degrees. Also, if there is so much fluid that they are "being boiled" then you probably have too much fluid. Just enough to keep em moist!

3-2-1 and 2-2-1 are just estimates. Most of us modify the times to suit our own tastes, also if the ribs are very meaty or very lean the times need to be adjusted. Next time just cut the foil time down and see how that works.

As the others have already stated. Anymore I normally only go about 1 1/4 hours in foil. Just adjust your timing to find te sweet spot that you like.

icon_cool.gif

Like most folks here said lessen the time in the foil.

Here's what I have been doing with great success, took quite a bit of ribs to get it down to the way we like e'm at home but never wasted any. Ribs are pretty forgiving and one of a few foods you can cook by time and not temp.

I have also had better success with using a rack as opposed to laying them flat.
[h1]ST. LOUIS STYLE PORK SPARE RIBS COOKED - 3 - 2 - 1[/h1]
(Smoked on GOSM)

Picture+2010+07+131.jpg
Picture+25+2010+06+237.jpg

Picture+25+2010+06+648.jpg
Picture+25+2010+06+658.jpg
Picture+25+2010+06+659.jpg
Picture+2010+07+122.jpg

Picture+2010+07+124.jpg
Picture+25+2010+06+660.jpg

rib.jpg
Picture+2010+07+128.jpg

Ribs are prepped by trimming up St. Louis style, removing membrane then coated heavily with rub the night before, no mustard, I have cut back on the black pepper in my Rib Rub because of how much rub I use on the ribs, it was a bit spicy for some of the family.

St. Louis Style Video

So far the best luck with the ribs have been a modified 3 - 2 - 1

• -3- Smoking at 225° for a maximum of 3 hours uncovered in a rib rack.
  • -2- Place in a steamer pan, bone side down and foil for 1 hour 40 minutes.
  • -1- Then remove foil and smoke another 40-45 minutes.
I was getting a bit annoyed at how much juice was lost after removing the foil, so I decided to leave the ribs in the pan for the final part of the cook and as you can see from the above photo, there's no loss of juices.
I just mix the juices and barbecue sauce as its brushed on the ribs.
Next Rib cook I will try glazing after step 2

This gives me ribs that are easy to slice clean without tearing the meat and mangling the rib.
The result is pull of the bone clean just where you bite into it without the whole piece of meat coming off in 1 shot and slapping you upside your chin.
My previous Rib cooks, the ribs were good but slightly dry on the outside, making it hard to slice through cleanly and the meat all coming off in one shot, however, there are some that prefer it that way!

The ribs are cut down, brushed thoroughly with BBQ Sauce and served in a steamer pan.
The ribs will go a good part of the day wi
thout drying out.

I like the steaming pan idea.  I am going to try that next time.

I'm going against the grain here.. have you tried not foiling at all??? Typically the only time I foil anything is when it's done cooking and I want to rest it in a warm dry cooler.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky