Rib doneness survey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fall off the bone or not?

• Fall off the bone

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Pull clean from bone without falling off

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • A bit of crunchiness because they are still slightly frozen in the middle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chrisjames

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
How do you all prefer you ribs? Do you prefer fall off the bone, or do you prefer some bite to it with the meat pulling cleanly from the bone? I know what the judges look for, but I am asking what you truly prefer to eat.

For me, It has to come off the bone clean, but I like to be able to handle them coming off the grill without them just falling apart.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
I prefer them to have a little bite, but come clean off the bone. Depending how I cook them the time changes. Grill, 4-5 hours low and slow over indirect heat. Charcoal smoker last season was between 3 - 4 hours and were almost burnt ( first time using a smoker ), thinking the gas smoker will be about 3 hours at 225-250 ( may be testing this theory Sunday ). Camp fire, almost 8 hours with indirect heat from only coals.

Pull clean. I think my dad eats his steaks crunchy though. Just wave them over a roaring fire a couple of times and their good to go.

Tender and each bite pulls away clean. FOB? Might as well make Pulled Pork as FOB ribs can only be eaten with a fork. They taste great but defeats the purpose of eating meat on the bone...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
I like them, with a little pull. I hate it when you take a bite of rib & the bone comes out & the meat is hanging down your chin! So for us that is 195 IT.
Al

Clean bite, but I'm not going to turn down fall off the bone ribs either.

FOTB, in my opinion takes the meat past it's peak from a flavor standpoint. Creating clean bite ribs maximizes the flavor & texture of the meat. To each, their own as long as you like 'em, smoke on! JMTC 😉

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky