RIb Differences

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wildcard

Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
Howdy all,

In the never ending quest to perfect some smoked ribs I've come to a few questions.

1. Baby back or spare ribs...and why? Which is better?

2. I've seen more 3-2-1 for spare ribs and 2-2-1 for baby backs. Will 3-2-1 work for both, or is one better for the difference in cut?

3. When using the above mentioned methods, is it meat up, meat down and then meat up? Meat side up the whole way? Does it even matter?

4. Does anyone have a preference for a liquid (or none at all) to put in during the foil phase? I've tried apple juice, honey, butter, brown sugar, hell I may have thrown Dr. Pepper in once.

5. Do ya'll prefer to put the sauce on during the last hour, or wait until you pull em off completely to sauce?

Looking forward to any input you've got. I'm going to be doing three racks of ribs on Saturday, and looking to perhaps try some new founds tips tricks and family secrets.

Cheers,

WIldcard

Howdy all,

In the never ending quest to perfect some smoked ribs I've come to a few questions.

1. Baby back or spare ribs...and why? Which is better? Spares are meatier, IMO have a better texture and flavor and are consistent.

2. I've seen more 3-2-1 for spare ribs and 2-2-1 for baby backs. Will 3-2-1 work for both, or is one better for the difference in cut? 3-2-1 is a bit long on BBR's they will likely be overcooked.

3. When using the above mentioned methods, is it meat up, meat down and then meat up? Meat side up the whole way? Does it even matter? I do meat up 3, meat down in foil, meat up last hour.

4. Does anyone have a preference for a liquid (or none at all) to put in during the foil phase? I've tried apple juice, honey, butter, brown sugar, hell I may have thrown Dr. Pepper in once. Came up with the recipe below a few years ago and it has been great.

5. Do y'all prefer to put the sauce on during the last hour, or wait until you pull em off completely to sauce? I sauce at the table usually but I have used the reduced foiling as a glaze the last hour.

Looking forward to any input you've got. I'm going to be doing three racks of ribs on Saturday, and looking to perhaps try some new founds tips tricks and family secrets.

Cheers,

WIldcard
Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

Optional: 2T Apple Cider Vinegar. Add 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more of a KC Glaze.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and

run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return

the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining

in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks Jimmy, that foil recipe sounds fantastic.

Al, your step by step instructions were great and the end result looked fantastic. You do make a good point, that, it seems everyone has their own special methods. I guess I will just keep trying different things until I'm thoroughly satisfied.

Recently I started doing spare ribs (St. Louis cut), did BB for years.  Also stopped foiling, again did that for years and ribs were always great.  But tried it without (actually realized I didn't have enough foil) and knew some people never foiled so tried it without and like them that way.  Also been cooking them at 250-275 degrees, meat up the whole time.

Personally I am one who likes my ribs to have a little bite, and not pure fall of the bone texture.  So by not foiling I can tell where they are at easier.  

I have recently started using a Lexington style mop/sauce on my ribs too.  Generally put that on once or twice in the last hour or so.  Only thing I've really noticed with no foil is sometimes the outside layer would get a tough tough/dry.  The meat inside was amazing, but a little dry on just the outside 1/16", so the mop kind of helps soften that up and adds good flavor.

As Al said, everyone has their own way they like.  Which type of rib, foil/no foil, spicy, sweet, extra sweet, texture.  Think you are right, just keep trying till you find the way you like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky