RF 250 propane tank build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matty0335

Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Tyler, tx
Hey all, I'm new to the forums ran across them searching for ideas and really like it so I thought I'd post my build I just started today. Have the trailer frame built up need to finish the tongue and add axle and wheels. The tank still has some propane in it so I will have to get that remedied before I cut. Have built a backyard smoker but this will be my first on a trailer and first RF so I'm pretty excited.
not the best picture but hopefully ok. The bottom end is going to be where the smoke box and the axle will be. Thanks for looking and hopefully for any advice.

here's the tank I'm going to be using, only had to give $50 and bought some wheels and an axle for $30 each! Have left over expanded metal from first smoker so the bulk of my cost will come from the smoke box metal

First question if many I'm sure but would 1/8 inch be enough for the rf plate or should I go thicker? Thinking I'm going to put some angle in the middle and have 2 pieces for the rf plate angled for easy liquid flow

so I was able to add the tongue off a boat trailer just don't know if it will be strong enough as is. I plan on adding a wood rack on top of the tongue and front of the trailer frame so this will help but will that be enough? I could add some angle under both for added support.

Off to a good start   How heavy material is the boat tongue ?

Gary

It's only about an 1/8 channel, thinkin the wood box will be enough to tighten/strengthen it

. I'd say I'm abt 90% done w the trailer I still have to put the coupler on and beef up the tongue portion. Tires and wheels are a little big but for $30 I couldn't pass them up. Add a little flair too. What do y'all think?

I like it,  Tires and wheels look about right to me.

Gary

Sorry been working nights havnt been able to do anything in a few days. I did get my tank emptied/burned off. Hooked a nice little fish fryer to it now I just need to wash and then cut

You really shouldn't rely on the wood rack for support of the trailer tongue even though it will help a little..... I have seen and repaired trailer tongues that have snapped off when thing go seriously wrong.........

I was able to get most of my metal supplies today so hopefully I'll be able to start on my firebox tomorrow!

Alright I've got the tank strapped down in place on the trailer have my doors drawn out ready to cut tomorrow and get all the gunk burned out. I plan on cuttin the fb hole and mounting the fb while the tank is on the trailer anybody have any tips besides make sure it's straight? Lol hope I can get a jack to do the heavy lifting for me

I plan on adding at least one more brace to each side connecting the trailer and cc for more stability and cutting out the other door hopefully Wednesday. Have also been flirting with the idea of just going with a traditional smoker instead of rf but can't make up my mind.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky