Rewiring circuit board of a MES30 20070910

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ksurf

Original poster
Nov 27, 2023
Hi all,
I have an old unit with a 4 pin PID and a 2 pin temp sensor. My circuit board is fried but I cannot find the same unit anywhere.
I ordered a 9907180024 but it has a 5 pin connector only. Pic is the old circuit board and the new one.

How do I rewire ?
Do I need to buy a 9907160013 circuit board instead ?
Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0984.jpeg
    IMG_0984.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi all,
I have an old unit with a 4 pin PID and a 2 pin temp sensor. My circuit board is fried but I cannot find the same unit anywhere.
I ordered a 9907180024 but it has a 5 pin connector only. Pic is the old circuit board and the new one.

How do I rewire ?
Do I need to buy a 9907160013 circuit board instead ?
Thanks for your input.
I think I ordered the wrong circuit board. The one I need is the 9907160013.
Now I know how to rewire the power cables and the heating element wires. But I don’t know how the wiring works for the PID: red, black, white and blue plus two wires for the thermocouple which I presume goes to the 2 pin connector on the 9907160013 board, which is labeled +5V and temp …
Advise welcome.

Last edited:
I think I ordered the wrong circuit board. The one I need is the 9907160013.
Now I know how to rewire the power cables and the heating element wires. But I don’t know how the wiring works for the PID: red, black, white and blue plus two wires for the thermocouple which I presume goes to the 2 pin connector on the 9907160013 board, which is labeled +5V and temp …
Advise welcome.
Hi there and welcome!

To rewire your smoker (pics you posted) for a PID controller you would splice black SMOOTH with black BRAIDED.
Then white SMOOTH with the other black Braided.

At that point the smoker will be dumb and will feed power to the heating element but will keep the hi temp safety cut off switch in the mix.

Let me know if this helps and ask all the questions you have. I'm sure we can get you whipped into shape. Oh, you are going to love how your smoker performs once rewired and using a PID controller :D

Thx tallbm, I actually tested the PID controller and circuit board and they work fine.

Now the smoker turns the heating element for a few sec and then trips the breaker. The resistance of the element is 18.5 ohms and the amp is 6.5amp while running. So nominal. It must be a GF problem.

So my next culprit is the snap circuit breaker.

I read several of your posts on this and will replace it. My smoker is the older kind with no door for the KSD301 unit… so I will cut a door.

Thaw for all your inputs. This site is great.

Reactions: zwiller
Thx tallbm, I actually tested the PID controller and circuit board and they work fine.

Now the smoker turns the heating element for a few sec and then trips the breaker. The resistance of the element is 18.5 ohms and the amp is 6.5amp while running. So nominal. It must be a GF problem.

So my next culprit is the snap circuit breaker.

I read several of your posts on this and will replace it. My smoker is the older kind with no door for the KSD301 unit… so I will cut a door.

Thaw for all your inputs. This site is great.
Yeah check all the connectors and last but not least the heating element might have cracks or grease or something on it causing it to trip.

When you know it's not a bad ground or unsafe situation try a regular non-gfci outlet and see what it does.

My element has stuff on it and likely has cracks in it and has no issues running off a regular outlet. I run the cable through a doggy door into the house vs the outside GFCI outlet. I'm just a savage like that :P

Reactions: ksurf
Yeah check all the connectors and last but not least the heating element might have cracks or grease or something on it causing it to trip.

When you know it's not a bad ground or unsafe situation try a regular non-gfci outlet and see what it does.

My element has stuff on it and likely has cracks in it and has no issues running off a regular outlet. I run the cable through a doggy door into the house vs the outside GFCI outlet. I'm just a savage like that :P
I think the element has a problem. Running non gfci would not help since the breaker trips withhout the gfci or afci light on. It must go over 20A and trips. Cold it is ok.
I ordered both replacements for the snap and the element. Cheaper than buying a new unit.
Thx for your help. I will report my success in a few days hopefully.

Reactions: tallbm
Yup, it was the element. As it heats up, cracks must open and short it to ground. I changed it and all is nominal. Thanks for your inputs.

Reactions: zwiller
Yup, it was the element. As it heats up, cracks must open and short it to ground. I changed it and all is nominal. Thanks for your inputs.
Awesome! Glad to see it's all handled and an element is an easy and cheap part to deal with on these things :D

I'm looking forward to see what you smoke with it now :D

Awesome! Glad to see it's all handled and an element is an easy and cheap part to deal with on these things :D

I'm looking forward to see what you smoke with it now :D
Thanks !
I am testing a dry hog sausage recipe without smoking now.
Any advice on smoking for dry fermented sausage ?
Cheers

Thanks !
I am testing a dry hog sausage recipe without smoking now.
Any advice on smoking for dry fermented sausage ?
Cheers

I think indaswamp indaswamp or BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker might have more/better info than I on smoking a dry sausage so hopefully they will chime in.

In my head, I would think that just cold smoking it would do great. Just make sure you have plenty of good draft when cold smoking or you get nasty stale smoke flavor. If you have good draft, cold smoking should work like a charm on it... but again I don't know so much about dry cured sausage and smoking :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky