Reverse Seared CPB Tomahawk Ribeye w/ Bloody Mary Cucumber Tomato Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Recently, tx smoker tx smoker and I talked about working out a trade involving Certified Piedmontese Beef Tomahawks, some other goodies and a "player to be named" like in the old baseball days. Well, I had this weekend off since I'm partially laid off due to the coronavirus, guess I got to make the best of it. So I figured, it was time to try one of these bad boys out. These steaks are massive! So the wife and I just split one.

The Menu:
Reverse-Seared Tomahawk Rib-eye
Bloody Mary Cucumber Tomato Salad
Roasted Cauliflower w/ Bleu Cheese Crumbles
Grilled Garlic Bread

I started out by dry brining the tomahawk yesterday with a hefty dose of Robert's beef rub. Since these steaks are huge, they could handle the heavy seasoning.
IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

Here's the tomahawk a day later, ready for the smoker. I smoked with hickory at 200F.
IMG_4392.jpg

While the steak was on the smoker, I prepared the Bloody Mary Cucumber Tomato Salad. Steve H Steve H and I have seemed to be on a bloody mary kick lately. I decided to incorporate this into a salad. It was very good. This one's going in the notebook.
IMG_4394.jpg

Bloody Mary Cucumber Tomato Salad:
4T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3T Red Wine Vinegar
1.5T Worcestershire Sauce
1.5T Prepared Horseradish
2tsp Tabasco Sauce
1tsp Celery Seed
1tsp Kosher Salt
Couple turns of Black Pepper
Couple shakes of Old Bay Seasoning
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 English seedless cucumber cut into half circles
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced

Mix dressing, pour over vegetables. Stir to combine. I like to make this 1-2 hours before hand so everything has a chance to meld together.

After making the salad, I set up a charcoal chimney to sear this tomahawk steak. I was looking for intense heat, so this was the only way. My gas grill doesn't get hot enough. Used the grate from my Weber smokey joe.
IMG_4399.jpg

Once the tomahawk steak reached an IT of 120, I pulled the steak from the smoker, let rest 5 minutes and then onto the charcoal chimney to finish. My IT was 127 when I pulled if off. I did about 30-40 seconds per side. The tomahawk was then rested, tented in foil for about 10-15 minutes while I got the rest of dinner ready.

Here it is prior to cutting. Butter knife for comparison. Took about 2 hours start to finish.
IMG_4403.jpg

Money Shot!
IMG_4404.jpg

Plated and served with the salad, grilled garlic bread and roasted cauliflower w/ bleu cheese crumbles. Basically, the cauliflower was roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. I sprinkled the crumbles on after the cauliflower came out of the oven. Didn't use much because I didn't want the bleu cheese to overpower.
IMG_4406.jpg

Close up of the CPB Tomahawk.
IMG_4407.jpg

I though this steak was fantastic!! Much more leaner and tender than a rib-eye. Although this is my first attempt at a tomahawk, I think I did okay with this. It was a tad too rare for my wife's tastes, but she's a trooper and ate it with no complaints. The next one, I'll take a few degrees more for her.

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Holy smoke Joe!! You did that steak proud my friend!! Looks amazing, as does the entire meal. If ever there was a tomahawk post that was carousel worthy, this is it . Just a gorgeous meal all round. Hats off and kudos to you for an absolutely stellar cook!! I just hope the steak did not disappoint. With that perfect cook and the amazing sear you got, I honestly don't see how it could.

Nothing short of WOW!!
Robert

Reactions: xray
Holy smoke Joe!! You did that steak proud my friend!! Looks amazing, as does the entire meal. If ever there was a tomahawk post that was carousel worthy, this is it . Just a gorgeous meal all round. Hats off and kudos to you for an absolutely stellar cook!! I just hope the steak did not disappoint. With that perfect cook and the amazing sear you got, I honestly don't see how it could.

Nothing short of WOW!!
Robert

Thank you for the kind words Robert, and more importantly thank you for your generosity it is very much appreciated.

I used to look at these steaks in the meat case from afar, because if I were to get too close, I'd end up drooling all over myself and fogging up the display case.

This was a serious cut of beef!

Wow - that is a amazing looking steak - this is one cut that is on my bucket list of things to do and I think Ill mimic your prep and technique! Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Joe that meal is a grand slam! The beef is perfect and man both sides I’ll be making soon. Love the tomato salad and damn we love blue cheese on almost anything lol.

Wow! That's one beautiful plate with the beef done to perfection, great piece of work! RAY

I'd be spitting in the wind trying to get a beautiful tomahawk like that. That is nice!
Now. Let's talk about that salad. Where did you get that recipe? It was made for me! This is without a doubt on my menu soon. Great job Joe!

Well everything looks delicious!
But the salad is what got my eye!
I copied the recipe for later use!
Thanks for posting it.
Al

Reactions: 73saint
Wow - that is a amazing looking steal - this is one cut that is on my bucket list of things to do and I think Ill mimic your prep and technique! Thanks for posting.

Thanks Rich, reverse sear lends itself to a thicker cut of meat. Make sure to post yours up when you do and thanks again!

Joe that meal is a grand slam! The beef is perfect and man both sides I’ll be making soon. Love the tomato salad and damn we love blue cheese on almost anything lol.

Thank you Jeff! It was a very good meal. I was originally supposed to have roasted potatoes, but I still had half a head of cauliflower left, I couldn't let that go bad so I swapped it out for the potatoes. I wanted to make it different since I just had roasted cauliflower, so I decided to put a few bleu cheese crumbles on them after the oven. The cheese melted from the heat of the vegetables. I thought it was very good. I liked the salad much better though, that's a keeper!

DAMN!
DOUBLE IT!
DAMN IT MAN!

Those monsters are truly an incredible cut of beef, and man did you do that one righteously.
It all looks so damned good, the beef, the salad and other sides.
And plated so nicely.
:emoji_heart_eyes:

Thanks John! I was pretty pleased with the CPB, especially since my first time making the tomahawk cut. Thanks again for the compliments, I appreciate it.

Wow! That's one beautiful plate with the beef done to perfection, great piece of work! RAY

Thanks Ray! It was a great meal for sure!

I'd be spitting in the wind trying to get a beautiful tomahawk like that. That is nice!
Now. Let's talk about that salad. Where did you get that recipe? It was made for me! This is without a doubt on my menu soon. Great job Joe!

Thanks Steve! As much as the tomahawk is front and center of this post, being SMF and all...that was a very good salad! It was of my own creation. If you have noticed from me posting for awhile, I am a huge fan of cucumber/tomato salad...I eat it almost daily in the summer months.

Another thing that put it over the top and since we both shop at Wegmans...I used the cherry tomato "flavor bombs" that come in the plastic container and are pretty $$$ for a vegetable. Have you ever had them? I highly recommend them. One taste and you'll know why, taste like a fresh picked tomato at the height of summer....Also, they're probably safer since you don't have people touching each and every one. Let me know what you think when you make it.

Well everything looks delicious!
But the salad is what got my eye!
I copied the recipe for later use!
Thanks for posting it.
Al

Thanks Al! It was a very good salad, glad to see it wasn't overlooked. Let me know how you like it .

Thanks Steve! As much as the tomahawk is front and center of this post, being SMF and all...that was a very good salad! It was of my own creation. If you have noticed from me posting for awhile, I am a huge fan of cucumber/tomato salad...I eat it almost daily in the summer months.

Another thing that put it over the top and since we both shop at Wegmans...I used the cherry tomato "flavor bombs" that come in the plastic container and are pretty $$$ for a vegetable. Have you ever had them? I highly recommend them. One taste and you'll know why, taste like a fresh picked tomato at the height of summer....Also, they're probably safer since you don't have people touching each and every one. Let me know what you think when you make it.

Thanks Al! It was a very good salad, glad to see it wasn't overlooked. Let me know how you like it .

I use those cherry tomatoes every chance I get. They cost more then the others. But, as you correctly pointed out. They are well worth the extra coin for them.

I use those cherry tomatoes every chance I get. They cost more then the others. But, as you correctly pointed out. They are well worth the extra coin for them.

They sure are! especially out of season until homegrown ones come in.

Thank you Bear and thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it.

Here it is prior to cutting. Butter knife for comparison. Took about 2 hours start to finish.

Ya know Joe, I never really thought about the size of those things until I see it in a full sized roasting pan with the butter knife behind it. That really puts things into perspective. Those are some enormous steaks!!

Yep, they really are,
Robert

Reactions: xray
WOW Joe that is a beautiful meal! You did that tomahawk justice no doubt. Don't think it could have been any better! Perfect doneness. All the sides look outstanding too. You killed it man. Id dump a 5 gallon bucket of quarters to see this one riding. Big points buddy!

Ya know Joe, I never really thought about the size of those things until I see it in a full sized roasting pan with the butter knife behind it. That really puts things into perspective. Those are some enormous steaks!!

Yep, they really are,
Robert

It was a pretty big steak, enough for the wife and I to share plus some leftover for breakfast.

that's one great looking meal Joe.

Thanks Jim, It turned out pretty good. Looking forward to making it again.

WOW Joe that is a beautiful meal! You did that tomahawk justice no doubt. Don't think it could have been any better! Perfect doneness. All the sides look outstanding too. You killed it man. Id dump a 5 gallon bucket of quarters to see this one riding. Big points buddy!

Thanks John! It was great, very tender! It was a little rare for the wife but she ate it anyway without complaints. The sides were good too, especially the bloody mary salad.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Damn Joe, that is one sweet lookin' meal there buddy!

I could really kill that plate.

And I love the salad, gonna add that to the list of to try (except substitute the cucumber out for something else as they give me terrible heartburn now) soon.

GREAT BIG LIKE!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky