Reverse Seared CPB Tomahawk Ribeye w/ Bloody Mary Cucumber Tomato Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Damn Joe, that is one sweet lookin' meal there buddy!

I could really kill that plate.

And I love the salad, gonna add that to the list of to try (except substitute the cucumber out for something else as they give me terrible heartburn now) soon.

GREAT BIG LIKE!

John

Thanks John!

It was a great meal, thanks for the kind words. You could probably omit the cucumber and add more tomatoes and c

Not sure how I missed this one but wow!!

Well everything looks delicious!
But the salad is what got my eye!
I copied the recipe for later use!
Thanks for posting it.
Al
and Like Al, the SALAD....I'm stealing this one my friend! Nice work!

Reactions: xray
This looks amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing, and we LOVE seeing the community playing and enjoying Certified Piedmontese beef at home!

Thank you very much! I have loved all of the beef I have tried so far. I’m not much of a fat eater and cut it off steaks but I really enjoy how the Piedmontese is noticeably leaner but still retains a tender quality.

Recently, @tx smoker and I talked about working out a trade involving Certified Piedmontese Beef Tomahawks, some other goodies and a "player to be named" like in the old baseball days. Well, I had this weekend off since I'm partially laid off due to the coronavirus, guess I got to make the best of it. So I figured, it was time to try one of these bad boys out. These steaks are massive! So the wife and I just split one.

The Menu:
Reverse-Seared Tomahawk Rib-eye
Bloody Mary Cucumber Tomato Salad
Roasted Cauliflower w/ Bleu Cheese Crumbles
Grilled Garlic Bread

I started out by dry brining the tomahawk yesterday with a hefty dose of Robert's beef rub. Since these steaks are huge, they could handle the heavy seasoning.
View attachment 438653
View attachment 438652

Here's the tomahawk a day later, ready for the smoker. I smoked with hickory at 200F.
View attachment 438654

While the steak was on the smoker, I prepared the Bloody Mary Cucumber Tomato Salad. @Steve H and I have seemed to be on a bloody mary kick lately. I decided to incorporate this into a salad. It was very good. This one's going in the notebook.
View attachment 438655

Bloody Mary Cucumber Tomato Salad:
4T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3T Red Wine Vinegar
1.5T Worcestershire Sauce
1.5T Prepared Horseradish
2tsp Tabasco Sauce
1tsp Celery Seed
1tsp Kosher Salt
Couple turns of Black Pepper
Couple shakes of Old Bay Seasoning
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 English seedless cucumber cut into half circles
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced

Mix dressing, pour over vegetables. Stir to combine. I like to make this 1-2 hours before hand so everything has a chance to meld together.

After making the salad, I set up a charcoal chimney to sear this tomahawk steak. I was looking for intense heat, so this was the only way. My gas grill doesn't get hot enough. Used the grate from my Weber smokey joe.
View attachment 438656

Once the tomahawk steak reached an IT of 120, I pulled the steak from the smoker, let rest 5 minutes and then onto the charcoal chimney to finish. My IT was 127 when I pulled if off. I did about 30-40 seconds per side. The tomahawk was then rested, tented in foil for about 10-15 minutes while I got the rest of dinner ready.

Here it is prior to cutting. Butter knife for comparison. Took about 2 hours start to finish.
View attachment 438657

Money Shot!
View attachment 438658

Plated and served with the salad, grilled garlic bread and roasted cauliflower w/ bleu cheese crumbles. Basically, the cauliflower was roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. I sprinkled the crumbles on after the cauliflower came out of the oven. Didn't use much because I didn't want the bleu cheese to overpower.
View attachment 438659

Close up of the CPB Tomahawk.
View attachment 438660

I though this steak was fantastic!! Much more leaner and tender than a rib-eye. Although this is my first attempt at a tomahawk, I think I did okay with this. It was a tad too rare for my wife's tastes, but she's a trooper and ate it with no complaints. The next one, I'll take a few degrees more for her.

Thanks for looking,

Joe
That is a killer looking meal. Going to have to make that salad!

Reactions: xray
That is a killer looking meal. Going to have to make that salad!

Thanks Brian! It was very good and I have made that salad plenty of times since posting. If you try it, let me know how you like it.

You don’t have to enjoy bloody mary’s to like this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky