Reuben-Slaw-Pie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
After raising a few glasses on Patty's Day and recouping Saturday it was time to get back in the saddle. Off to market bright and early, strawberries were on sale at 77¢ a pound, two pounds make a nice strawberry pie, and I do loves me some sugar free pie, so I made one!

DSCN0058.JPG

Now the day before as I was nursing myself back to full health I made a loaf of dark rye in the bread machine anticipating the Reuben to come.
I'd whipped up a little thousand island dressing and had all the fixin's on hand, time for a sanny. Hit both slices of rye with some dressing

DSCN0059.JPG

Then some sauerkraut on one slice of bread, caramelized onions on the other

DSCN0060.JPG

I had nine ounces of corned beef left so that was going to have to do. It was nice fatty stuff, first half

DSCN0061.JPG

Next up a layer of some swiss cheese to cover

DSCN0062.JPG

Then add the remaining half of the corned beef, of course

DSCN0063.JPG

I like to grill my sanny's nice and slow in a 8" skillet, start with a quarter cube of butter

DSCN0064.JPG

I'll go a little lid on, lid off, add a little more butter, maybe 20 minutes, then flip

DSCN0065.JPG

Takes about the same amount of time on the flip side, lid on to ensure the cheese gets gooey melted. It's a fair sized sanny so I cut it in half to plate up with some cole slaw I made. Been using SmokinAl SmokinAl 's dressing recipe for years now, replacing the sugar with Splenda

C9D789E3-73D5-4152-87C1-F2BF0405F3A6.jpeg

Oh, back to the sanny! Was hot, gooey, buttery, crunchy delicious

DSCN0066.JPG

Could have downed the second half but saved just enough room for a piece of strawberry pie with whipped cream

DSCN0067.JPG

Well now after the Patty's Day sales I've got a freezer full of corned beef, six flats, two rounds, and two points, reckon there will be another Reuben coming my way real soon. Thanks for lookin' in and y'all try to stay safe out there! RAY

Well Ray, you do make one mean Reuben! We were on the same wave-length, I made rye bread this week-end too, and a modified version of your sandwich, using just mayo and Dijon mustard (but it would've been better with Thousand Island dressing), and Provolone. I even made coleslaw, too! No strawberry pie, I was too full.

WOW Ray that is a beaut of a sammich!!!! And Lesa makes her slaw pretty much following Als recipe also.
And then you top it all off with a gorgeous piece of pie! I'd been done for about an hour or so!!!

Jim

Reactions: sawhorseray
That's one killer sandwich Ray!! Being one who isn't much into desserts (although I am about ready to make one of your pies) I'd have foregone the pie and devoured the second half of the sandwich :emoji_wink: Love the idea of the caramelized onions. Sounds fantastic.

Robert

Well Ray, you do make one mean Reuben! We were on the same wave-length, I made rye bread this week-end too, and a modified version of your sandwich, using just mayo and Dijon mustard (but it would've been better with Thousand Island dressing), and Provolone. I even made coleslaw, too! No strawberry pie, I was too full.

Thanks Lynn! Yep, looks like we were on the same page. Do you make your bread in a machine or loaf pan? Jan got me a bread machine and book of recipes some time back, it was a game changer for sure, saves a little money too! Thanks for the Like. RAY

Do you make your bread in a machine or loaf pan?
Both, sort of. I let the machine do the kneading, then pull the dough to rise in a bowl on the counter, or in the frig, depending on what I'm up to on any given day. I bought a fabulous USA Pan Bakeware small Pullman loaf pan that I can't stop gushing over. Best pan I've ever purchased, and it will outlast me, I have no doubts. I've also purchased two of Michelle Anderson's bread machine books on Amazon, I like 'em. Which book did Jan get you?

WOW Ray that is a beaut of a sammich!!!! And Lesa makes her slaw pretty much following Als recipe also. And then you top it all off with a gorgeous piece of pie! I'd been done for about an hour or so!!!
Jim

Thanks Jim! I use about a quarter of a cabbage for dinner, then what do you do with the rest, slaw! Al's recipe is the best I've found, but just like making pies, I've been replacing the sugar with Splenda and loving it. Thanks for the Like Jim, much appreciated. RAY

Reactions: JLeonard
That's one killer sandwich Ray!! Being one who isn't much into desserts (although I am about ready to make one of your pies) I'd have foregone the pie and devoured the second half of the sandwich :emoji_wink: Love the idea of the caramelized onions. Sounds fantastic. Robert

Thank you Robert! Just like on a bacon cheeseburger the caramelized onion adds just a hint of sweet goodness, now I don't go without it. Of course I had the other half of that sanny with a Rolling Rock before I went to bed, avoids any tossin' and turnin'. Thanks for the Like amigo, I do appreciate it! RAY

That's one heck of a sandwich bud . I like the onions on there too .
Nice work Ray . Is the pie gone already ?

Both, sort of. I let the machine do the kneading, then pull the dough to rise in a bowl on the counter, or in the frig, depending on what I'm up to on any given day. I bought a fabulous USA Pan Bakeware small Pullman loaf pan that I can't stop gushing over. Best pan I've ever purchased, and it will outlast me, I have no doubts. I've also purchased two of Michelle Anderson's bread machine books on Amazon, I like 'em. Which book did Jan get you?
I have "The No-Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook" by Michelle Anderson, every recipe I've tried has been a winner Lynn. The machine has a zillion different settings so to avoid confusion I make a two pound loaf every time. I'm thinking of making the Toasted Hazelnut and replacing the hazelnuts with cashews. RAY

Reactions: halleoneagain
I absolutely love a good reuben and yours looks delicious Ray, I really like the idea of caramelized onions on the sandwich. I gotta try that next time, I totally forgot about looking for the corned beef sales since I did my CB&C a week early.

That's one heck of a sandwich bud . I like the onions on there too .
Nice work Ray . Is the pie gone already ?
Thanks Rich! The pie took a big hit this morning, I gave Jan a third of it to bring over to her daddy, he loves my pie. I never used to make pie due to all the sugar needed, the stuff is poison. Since I found out about Splenda I'm making a pie every week, Jan's dad and I are pretty darned happy! Thanks for the Like Rich, much appreciated! RAY

I absolutely love a good reuben and yours looks delicious Ray, I really like the idea of caramelized onions on the sandwich. I gotta try that next time, I totally forgot about looking for the corned beef sales since I did my CB&C a week early.
Thanks Joe, the onion really works, try it you'll like it. I've been getting all my corned beef from Sam's Club and it's really great stuff but costs around $6.00lb. I stocked up Freezermart for around half that price. I notice the point cuts seem quite a bit fattier than the flats, no idea what the "rounds" are like, I'll just have to find that out the hard way. Thanks for the Like Joe! RAY

Think it's all been said but just Wow! Everything looks so dang good! Nice one Ray!
Thanks Brian! Everything is so darned easy, used one big pot, and feeds me for a couple of days, one of the best times of the year. Thanks for the Like Brian, appreciate it. RAY

Fantastic twist with the Rueben Ray! Never thought of adding onions before. I'm GOING to make that pie someday!
Thanks Steve! The pies are all jcam222 jcam222 fault, if Jeff hadn't got me into Splenda I wouldn't be making them all the time. Now with the store-bought crust being so easy and cheap it hard NOT to make one, love 'em! Thanks for the Like Steve, much appreciated! RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Really great Sandwich, Ray. Like most everyone above, I've never thought of the carmelized onions before. I gotta try that. That pie looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky