Retirement!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Trapper62

Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
Hello, Pat from ND here, I grew up on a farm where we raised and butchered all of our own domestic and wild meat. Started brining and smoking product about 4 years ago, trying different things and really enjoy it, people I share with do too! I am real close to retiring and am just looking for ideas or ways to enjoy this even more. Wife and I just built a walk in cooler so have that out of the way, have the equipment and smoker, wanted to bite those costs before I quit working.

Anyway, may be more of a lurker for now, thanks!

Trapper62

Last edited:
Welcome from Mississippi! Glad you joined the forums. We are very visually oriented here. We like pics. Look forward to your posts.
Jim

Reactions: Trapper62
Welcome from Indiana!
I've been retired for almost 3 years now and the stress level dropped to almost zero.
You're wise to cross your Ts and dot your Is and plan. A walk-in cooler!
Looking forward to hearing from you :-)

Welcome from Indiana!
I've been retired for almost 3 years now and the stress level dropped to almost zero.
You're wise to cross your Ts and dot your Is and plan. A walk-in cooler!
Looking forward to hearing from you :-)

Yep that walk in cooler was the best investment so far. 36 years in public education is enough and the stress of the last 16 months has made the light very bright at the end of this tunnel! :emoji_sunglasses:

Welcome to the forum from NorCal! I have one year left to my full retirement age and hope to enjoy my new best job .... :emoji_wink: Actually, I was planning to retire at 65 but was asked to stay for one more year for a huge project... Not sure I am making right decision but just don't want to let my boss down....

If you are under not old enough for medicare, I would strongly recommend an insurance broker. They make getting the right health insurance super easy and they are free to the consumer (paid on commission). The help we got was priceless! and they do all the enrollment BS for you. the healthcare.gov site is not all that great.

Congrats on the retirement. Been retired for 6 years and haven't looked back. Golf 6 days a week. Do what I want when I want. It couldn't be better.

i'm from nd also. self employed my life. GP'S farm was north of Anamoose. no lectricity, outhouse, n big red pump in the sink, wood stove. and the bedrooms had big thick quilts. and a bucket in the winter.

and if ya get bis. 3be meats has all types of cuts including like rabbit, alligator and turkey parts ects. and all beef n pork

Yep I like 3be Meats, been there before, my wife is from Bismarck so get there often.

Welcome From Virginia! Can’t wait to see what you get together! Aah, and congrats on retirement, that has to feel great!

Last edited:
Hey Pat, welcome from South Carolina and congrats on the impending retirement. I've been retired for almost 5 years and I tell those who are contemplating it to do it, BUT make sure that you have something to do or interests that will keep you busy which it sounds like you do. I was a member here for over 2 years before I decided to quit lurking and start participating. Don't be a stranger...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky