resting sausages before smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lord Montgomery von Agoho

Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
hi there,

I've made some frankfurters, that i will smoke and then boil. i have random spices and for 1 kg i have 18g salt and 2.5g cure 1. the receipt instructs me to let the sausage dry one hour before smoking. because of time constraints this has now proven impossible and i need to smoke them tomorrow instead, about 16 hours from stuffing. will they be fine in the ref to smoke tomorrow or will they have died? also should i store them in plastic of let them be exposed?

thanks in advance
LINUS

The drying time is just that 1 hour before smoking. You're fine leaving them in the fridge for that long before smoking. Then let them hang in your smoker at about 100 degrees F for a hour before raising temp and smoking.

Its good to leave your sausage to hang to get to room temp.
The BW (Bound Water) will create moisture on the surface of the casings, this liquid makes and smoke hard to adhere to the casings. We can also start smoker at low temp (no smoke) for an hour or two to help dry the casings faster.

I just finished a batch of kielbasa yesterday, had to split the batches as my smoker isn't large enough. The second batch had hung in the fridge for 48hrs. They turned out amazing. The casing was perfect not too dry. I may make this a procedure from now on. The cure really works its magic. Long story short, the 16 hrs you need to hang them is nothing,they will turn out great.

Corey

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky