Replacing Bradley with something more reliable.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

louie.charcuterie

Original poster
May 6, 2020
I would like to replace my Bradley smoker (4 rack digital) of 13 years with something more reliable. Honestly, i don't have a lot of good to say about it. Its been a lemon since i bought it and rarely use it.

I really would like a set and forget system, the Bradley would have been perfect if it was dependable. Ive had it 13 years, parts have been replaced from almost day one. I'm sick of baby sitting the thing in case it stops working. I would be happy with something I had to check every hour or so, not every 20 minutes.

Has to be similar size so I can build an insulated cabinet for winter smokes. Has to be available north of the border seeing as i live in Canada. Dont really care about cost as long as its not going to extra costs like shipping and duty fees. If its coming out of the states then I would be paying at least double, not to mention the headache of trying to deal with warranty issues. Example, Auber Pid $145.00 final price to me was $380.00 and that was like 10 years ago. North of the border is good.

And the biggest requirement...... has to be reliable or at least manageable.

Does such a thing exist? I know im asking a lot here but thanks for your input.

Seeing that you are north of the border, I think your options may be limited to what places like Home Depot, Walmart, or even Amazon.ca have to offer.
With that in mind, there are still some good brands to check out to see if they would fit your needs which inlcude brands like Masterbuilt, Pitboss, etc.

Pretty slim picking in Canada if you are looking for electric. There have been a couple of folks who, living in Canada, purchased a smoker from Smokin-it. They had it delivered to an address just across the border then drove over and picked it up. Shipping in the USA is free. But there is the duty.

Hey thanks for the replies and links.

Unfortunately, with the Covid pandemic, travel is very very unlikely BUT it is a great suggestion.

Speaking of ways to order from the USA without taking a big hit, and I know this is gonna sound weird but I keep forgetting that I have family in Oregon. I wonder if I could make that work somehow like order to their home and they ship to me as a gift or something along those lines. I don't see my family having any issues helping out, just not sure about the logistics. Maybe have them order it then send it to me. Not 100% sure how that would work once it hits the border.

Think I might look into building one too....... I have the shell of an old hotel style ice maker, lots of material there, just have to check the gauge. Lots to think about.

Thanks again.

That might work. The smokers are heavy and the package is large; they come double boxed. Check with your postal authorities and see if family gifts are subject to customs. Shipping in the contiguous US is free.

I have 2 Smokin-It smokers and highly recommend them. A trip to Oregon may be in your future when travel restrictions across border ease.

I have been thinking of a Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed Series charcoal smoker/grill. Supposedly they can run at 160-700 deg F. And at 225 deg F, get 10 hours per bin load of charcoal.

Regarding the MB 560, I watched a video on the break-in and it seems capable. The fellow goes through the entire unit, and fires it up for seasoning. And he shows the heat distribution in the cooker section. One thing I did not like is the peeling paint. At the 12 minute mark, he opens the charcoal chamber and peeling bubbling paint is clearly visible. For me, that would be a non-starter.

I have 2 Smokin-It smokers and highly recommend them. A trip to Oregon may be in your future when travel restrictions across border ease.

I have been thinking of a Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed Series charcoal smoker/grill. Supposedly they can run at 160-700 deg F. And at 225 deg F, get 10 hours per bin load of charcoal.
See if you can find user info on actual charcoal consumption. I've heard it is significantly higher than what MB reports plus it's how hot you want it and for how long. That venturi type fan stokes and eats charcoal and doesn't stop burning as quickly like putting a lid on a kettle grill or kamado to starve air from the grill to save charcoal. I believe a larger gravity feed is coming out. It can be like operating a little forge or blast furnace.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky