What Is Something You could Not Live Without In The Kitchen?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Running water. A most basic thing nobody really gives a thought to, but I once had to do without running water in the kitchen, or anywhere else for a month while I had a new water source put in.

Things some take for granted… but man you are right! Water is essential to man… without it… we’d be done!

My water meter is through the woods and down a huge hill. Solid 2000 ft lol
No woods, but it was all uphill from the road to the house at my old farm. Rocky ground, and had to cross a small creek, too. Something like 2180 feet of 2 inch line when all was said and done. Actually now that I think about it, I bought 3000 feet of 2 in schedule 40 for the guys to run and there were only a few sticks left when all was said and done.

Last edited:
I do not think there is anything that I could not live without in the kitchen. Inconvenient yes.

The most useful item is the gas fed air fryer oven that was installed when we rebuilt our kitchen last year. Even though it is large it replaced a smaller one that sat on the countertop. It takes up the same amount of space as a conventional oven but gets used way more often by my wife and I.

I've read all the posts so far and considered and realized the answer is right at the end of my nose: my eyeglasses! I'd burn my nose scrambling an egg without them.

Last edited:
Running water. A most basic thing nobody really gives a thought to, but I once had to do without running water in the kitchen, or anywhere else for a month while I had a new water source put in.
I have to agree with this one also. I am on a well system and have run out of water many times. It always recovers but is a pain in the butt when you run out.
One winter the lines froze and spilt. I could prime the pump but would lose the water pressure when the tap was turned off. That cost me a few bucks to get repaired.

I've got a Ninja air fryer/toaster oven. Heats up fast and great for garlic bread, reheating pizza etc. Does not heat up the house in the summer either like an oven.

Reactions: DieselTech
I have to agree with this one also. I am on a well system and have run out of water many times. It always recovers but is a pain in the butt when you run out.
One winter the lines froze and spilt. I could prime the pump but would lose the water pressure when the tap was turned off. That cost me a few bucks to get repaired.
When I bought the old place, it had a cistern that was spring fed. Never had to have water hauled in to refill the tank (well maybe once when the toilet flapper got hung and we were gone for a day). One day the pump just lost its prime and I could not get it to prime back. Must have been either a hole in the line or bad foot valve.

Problem was, the cistern was just across the property line. There was no house there so the neighbor didn't care if I used it, but I wasn't about to spend money fixing it and them turn around and tell me I had to find my own water source.

I had a meter at the road already and just had to get around a half mile of pipe ran from it to the house. Took a little while to get that done with lining up a contractor and them getting it done.

Reactions: DieselTech
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky