Replace three with one?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good Morning. We love our 1050. Had it for about 9 months. No mods -except the new charcoal grate from Masterbuilt. ( we moved on from an electric smoker MES) We continue to use our Webber gas grill for grilling during the week or quick grills. My only complaint, not sure if its a far complaint is the time it take the 1050 to cool down to cover it. Although I'm getting better at adding just the right amount of fuel so that help. Doing bacon this weekend for the first time.

Welcome to SMF. Definitely come back and post pics of the bacon!

I've been fascinated with the idea of the 800 since I saw that it came with a flat iron grate.

But I like size, too and the 1050 has that.

They do have the 850 in stock at the Walmart the next town over.

Any of them are an expense I have to consider

This was the debate I had too before I purchased the 1050. I am glad I saw the 1050 in person, because I initially thought it would be way too big but after seeing it in person figured the 800 would be too small. I really liked the griddle idea for the 800, and I even emailed Masterbuilt to see if they planned on selling a griddle for the 1050 at some point (sadly, they confirmed in no uncertain terms this is not planned). Ultimately went with the 1050 because of size.

There is an aftermarket manifold shroud available that converts the 1050 from indirect heat to direct heat, so you can then put a regular griddle or pizza stone on top of the cook grates. I'll probably buy that at some point. What I'd really like to see is someone make a griddle insert for the 1050 as an after market option.

The griddle would be a nice accessory to have but not a necessity
I suppose some clever person (not me) could make one.

Floated the trial balloon in front of my wife and she wasn't as enthused as I was
(That's an understatement)

mcokevin, you asked TMR to post pictures of his bacon.
Here is my first try smoked in my Dyna Glo

First Bacon.jpg

My thought too. But the OP stated the lid didn't seal. So, I'm guessing he added it.
Nothing added
Stock.
Just my senility about the gasket.

You have any sliced shots? What was your recipe? Cure time?

I'll get some sliced shots in a little bit.
First time making bacon I went real simple

Kosher salt, brown sugar stevia and black peppercorns.
The one on the right had a little maple syrup, too.
Cured 9 days

It was a little salty after the smoke.
A butcher friend of mine suggested soaking it.
I soaked it for an hour or two and it's pretty good now.

I was also looking at the GF units as a possible one shot replacement but for now I am holding on to my gasser just in case.

I chose the CG 980 over the MB 1050 because I felt the quality was just a bit better and coming from a vertical smoker I wanted to get away from this design this time. I have only had it one week but so far it seems great and I am using a power pack from Amazon for now. If it fails then I'll install a new outlet.

This was the debate I had too before I purchased the 1050. I am glad I saw the 1050 in person, because I initially thought it would be way too big but after seeing it in person figured the 800 would be too small. I really liked the griddle idea for the 800, and I even emailed Masterbuilt to see if they planned on selling a griddle for the 1050 at some point (sadly, they confirmed in no uncertain terms this is not planned). Ultimately went with the 1050 because of size.

There is an aftermarket manifold shroud available that converts the 1050 from indirect heat to direct heat, so you can then put a regular griddle or pizza stone on top of the cook grates. I'll probably buy that at some point. What I'd really like to see is someone make a griddle insert for the 1050 as an after market option.
My fault on the picture. Bacon is on the left, Chuck roast on the right and chorizo sausage on the bottom. We added shrimp later in the day. We were just cleaning out the freezer.View attachment 495457View attachment 495457View attachment 495458

My fault on the pictures. Bacon is on the left, Chuck roast on the right and chorizo sausage on the bottom. We added shrimp later in the day. We were just cleaning out the freezer.

Attachments

• tempImageOKvFUg.png
    tempImageOKvFUg.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImageN1Ynsr.png
    tempImageN1Ynsr.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: larryfoster
I was also looking at the GF units as a possible one shot replacement but for now I am holding on to my gasser just in case.

I chose the CG 980 over the MB 1050 because I felt the quality was just a bit better and coming from a vertical smoker I wanted to get away from this design this time. I have only had it one week but so far it seems great and I am using a power pack from Amazon for now. If it fails then I'll install a new outlet.
My advice is keep the gasser. I have a two burner gasser that I keep because it's great for quick weeknight dinners. Last night I did a quick dinner of grilled asparagus and some brats. Gasser was up and ready to rock in 5 minutes. The gravity fed units are fast, but not that fast.

Doesn't she look so cute next to big brother?
IMG_0647.jpeg
IMG_0648.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky