Rendezvous!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Ok, so maybe not in the sense you all might be thinking, but this was the 48th annual we went to this past Labor day. It is actually a reenactment of the time of Lewis and Clark time period, approximately 1840. We have been doing this for probably 30 years. Some events that occur are black powder shoots (shotgun, rifle,pistol), bow shoots, knife and tomahawk throws, trap setting, fire starting, kids games, and women's games (although not all of this happened this year due to covid). I will also add we had permission from local health officials to have this event this fall, hand sanitizer located throughout camp and out houses disinfected twice daily. Was one of many events that we could actually have. Contact tracing was also implemented without one single case being reported. Might have been the case of more alcohol being consumed than placed on hands! Included are some cooks we did.

Anyways being veterans day the first couple pics are the flag raising ceremony

Resized_20200905_084545.jpeg

The young lad on the ground is lighting the fire , using a flint and steel, (no not a bic) the fire is kept going through the weekend until the flags are lowered. I should add that most years all the flag raisers are veterans corresponding to their flag or a family member of such...but that didn't work out this year.

Resized_20200905_084802.jpeg

A few pics of our set up. The actual rendezvous actually is just during the weekend, but we usually go for the entire week just to get away.

20200828_192651.jpg

20200828_192814.jpg

Even the kitchen sink!

20200828_192719.jpg

Let's get some food pics...couple Cornish hens for the spit

20200902_163748.jpg

Getting some color

20200902_184054.jpg

Plated up with some carrots. These were basted with butter throughout the cook, not sure what seasonings were used

20200902_192617.jpg

Was tasty for sure! Another day and it was time for gizzards, 5 packs, all between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lbs

20200903_162515.jpg

The ingredients

20200904_100425.jpg

Seasoned the flour with pepper and missing from the pic was some crazy Cajon and roasted Chipotle garlic. Put gizzards in bag with flour and seasonings to coat then into pan with oil. My wife Shelly getting them started

20200904_110449.jpg

Getting some color on them

20200904_125048.jpg

After browned and into Dutch, add 2 cans cream of mushroom soup and little milk

20200904_125752.jpg

This is then simmered over coals for several hours to tenderize

20200904_174543.jpg

Now being since this takes a few hours to get ready, it doesn't take long for them to disappear once they're done...all the neighbors seem to know when to come visit. For those that don't like gizzards because they are too chewy, fear not...these are tender as can be

20200904_181518.jpg

Have a couple visitors that we only see at this rendezvous, never seen a young one like this before

20200903_162609.jpg

And a little more grown up...a walking stick

20200904_135308.jpg

We also had a small buffet midweek, dutch ovens doing their thing

20200903_173946.jpg

And their contents, green bean casserole and scalloped corn

20200903_181432.jpg

My plate...smoked bacon wrapped deer loin, sweet taters, green bean casserole, and scalloped corn

20200903_183011.jpg

It was all so good!
Finally a few more camp pics, other camps and ours.

20200902_141247.jpg

20200902_141146.jpg

20200902_141118.jpg

My daughter thought she needed a hammock
20200903_164547.jpg

Our camp at night
20200828_205849.jpg

Of course I had to add at least one fire pic

20200828_205642.jpg

As with SMF, we are a sort of family, even though I've never met any of you in person. Our rendezvous friends are family, some we only see once or twice a year. Our kids grew up with this family, my son was two weeks old when he went to his first vous, although many of their adopted grandparents have passed on they are never forgotten. These rendezvous are held throughout the country so if you ever see one advertised in your area go out and visit them.
Thanks all for looking!

Ryan

That's awesome Ryan. Definitely something I could get in to. All the food and pics were great looking. Been to some sons of the confederacy events that looked similar.

Meriwether Lewis is buried not far from me on the Natchez Trace. We've been to the monument many times

Last edited:
Looks like a good time and great vittles.
Again, love your camp setup, very nice.
Thanks Chili! Been a long time coming in posting it, had a hard time trying to figure out how to put all the info in one post or how to separate it. But I do appreciate it!

Ryan

That's awesome Ryan. Definitely something I could get in to. All the food and pics were great looking. Been to some sons of the confederacy events that looked similar.

Meriwether Lewis is buried not far from me on the Natchez Trace. We've been to the monument many times
Thanks Jake! It's an awesome way of life...many members are getting older so looking to get the next generation more involved. Our local club had our event this fall, my daughter and SIL and friends their age sat at our camp till late (or early in the morning) and had a great time. One of them commented the next day how cool it was...they are the ones that can keep it going. We have one event at Lewis and Clark state park in Onawa Iowa each year, where they have a replica of the keelboat that they took on their journey and they give rides to the public on. They also have a civil war encampment at the same time

Ryan

Reactions: forktender
That sir looks like a great time and awesome food.

That looks like a great way to spend the week, how relaxing!!!
And the food.....holy cow those are some awesome looking vittles right there.
I love gizzards both chicken and the waterfowl that I kill each season which is right now.
I love them dusted with flour and Lowery's and a little black pepper for seasoning then fried in real lard or beef tallow.........YUM!!!
Dan:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

That sir looks like a great time and awesome food.
Thanks Adam! It is! As has been said in the past at vous... it's like having a family reunion with the side of the family you do like!

Ryan

That looks like a great way to spend the week, how relaxing!!!
And the food.....holy cow those are some awesome looking vittles right there.
I love gizzards both chicken and the waterfowl that I kill each season which is right now.
I love them dusted with flour and Lowery's and a little black pepper for seasoning then fried in real lard or beef tallow.........YUM!!!
Dan:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks Dan! It is so relaxing! That's why we spend the week! But couple years ago it was wet, fire pit full of water, at one time we put a short plank in fire pit and had a floating fire. It was kinda miserable but we still had fun! That club also has a frosted fanny vous every year on valentine's weekend...they are more die hard than me!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Very cool! Thanks for posting the pics. Can you tell me what is the purpose of the snapping turtle shell with the tags hanging on it?
Thanks inda!the turtle shell with tags is all (or most) of the tags from rendezvous that we have attended over the years. Each vous we attend gives out a medallion for being there. We use the turtle shell, others have them attached to beaver hides and such

Ryan

Looks like a good time. My Grandma made Gizzard and Gravy when I was a kid. Good stuff. I made them once, my family tried them but was not crazy about them...JJ

I've been to a few '...vous
There is a big French history in this area and normally an annual rendezvous they chose to call a Chautauqua.

Most memorable '...vous was my son's first Camporee as a Boy Scout. Local Rendezvous group hosted the event.
I helped out with the black powder shoot and earned my tag.

Family is definitely family. I miss the Scouting adventures, but my time is over.

Ryan, that is nothing short of 1000 x AWESOME! I could use about a month of that right now! The old fashion spinning birds......amazing!

I have to admit, we have a trailer and it is nice but my all fav is going out in the wall tent! Just something about it....it has a way of awaking ones soul!

Oh I like the fire pic!

Ryan , that's just awesome . Great thread .
Thank you! Its greatly appreciated! I wished I would have gotten more pics during the actual rendezvous but got kinda busy

Ryan

Great family event Ryan. And that bird looks really tasty.
Thank you, I appreciate it! Somewhere I have a pic of a whole turkey done this way but for the life of me can't find it. Sometimes a little mischief goes on...some birds have seem to have gone missing off the fire over the years...good thing for plausible deniability! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Looks like a good time. My Grandma made Gizzard and Gravy when I was a kid. Good stuff. I made them once, my family tried them but was not crazy about them...JJ
Thanks JJ! We definitely love our time at rendezvous! Gizzards aren't for everyone, we even like em deep fried and chewy but after making them this way it's hard to go back

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky