Removing paint from cast iron

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

charitard

Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
I'm looking for some confirmation on what I'm trying to do, I have a large cast iron grate that was used as a vent for a historic business building that I got from an auction in town. They say it's cast iron but it's rusted as hell on the unpainted side and another side has some thick brown paint on it.

My main question is: Can I simply burn the grate at a hot enough temperature for a long enough time to get rid of the paint on it or is there some method that will make sure it's safe to use? Im just not sure if burning it will remove all harmful chemicals or if something could stay behind.

Also, is there a way I can confirm it's cast iron? I just don't want to take the chance of it being some kind of metal that's actually not safe to use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky