Reheating beef leftovers

Discussion in 'Beef' started by mike5051, Jan 26, 2016.

1. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I did some searching but didn't see anything relating to this question.  Does leftover steak,roast,tri-tip, have to be heated to a specific temp to be safe to eat?  If I put my effort to keep temps in the 130's during the cooking process, can I safely reheat the leftovers to 130ish to avoid further cooking of the beef.  I've been doing this for a while, just wondering if I've been getting lucky.  

Mike

2. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Assuming you refrigerated the leftovers quickly rather than leaving them on the counter for a long time, you will be ok.

It will never be the same as fresh, but still can be good if heated gently.

I like to reheat sliced beef in a pot of preheated au jus.  There are many other methods you might try.

Good luck and good smoking.

3. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Leftovers?:biggrin:

4. smokin phil

smokin phil Smoking Fanatic

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  5. mike5051

LOL!  Thanks b-one!  

Mike

6. mike5051

Exactly Phil!  But when one spends a lot of time to get that first cow just right...I would like the second one to be just as delicious!  [​IMG]

Mike

7. mike5051

Thanks venture!  I do refrigerate promptly.  I never worried about it before but started reading stuff about having to heat up to a temp to kill the bacteria that survives/thrives in the fridge.  Hasn't killed me yet, but my gut is pretty rough.

Mike