Regulator mod help

  • Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.


Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Beaverton, Oregon
I changed out the stock hose regulator with one from Bayou Classic.  When I took it off I saw it had a connecter bushing with a very

small orifice.  I did not use that with the new hose not sure if it was needed.  When I tried it out it looks like I have lost nearly all control

with the control knob on the smoker.  Now it will blaze like a turkey cooker.  It seems I need to use the brass connecter with the small opening.  My hope was the new hose will allow me to get  more low volume control and temps below 170 -180 range.  This mod seems to be used a lot from what I read here.  Thanks 


Smoking Fanatic
Dec 31, 2009
Beautiful downtown Birdsong, AL
What piece of equipment are you trying to modify?   Pictures would be helpful.  It sounds like you replaced your low pressure regulator with a high pressure regulator with out an orifice in it.  I would suggest re installing your old regulator, and installing a Needle valve in line.  Go here for a needle valve.  Hope this helps.


Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Yes, get a needle valve like this one that I use on my gasser to achieve lower temps.

Tapayakin' from my iphone is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads