Ref; Trying to tweak Malayasian jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
https://www.jerkyholic.com/malaysian/

So this is the original recipe; but I found it lacked much seaseme oil taste, and I didn't think it needed that much soy sauce.

I was thinking of reducing the soy sauce to 1/4th cup per pound and increasing the seaseme oil to 2 tsp a pound. Then 2 Tsp of black pepper in lieu of 1 tsp.

Has any one else made this and tweaked it for more seaseme oil flavour? I might actually go crazy and get some seaseme seeds and add a tsp per pound.

I've not made this but your plan is sound. You can also brush some sesame oil, on one side, at the end and pat up any excess...JJ

Toast the seeds for more flavor, I'd vacuum pack the rest so they last.
I totally didn't think of that..despite them doing that for the oil. Ha not a smart man here! I'll likely be a few weeks away from doing this; since it seems I'm going to be heading to the SMF Fatty contest in MI this weekend. Gotta hit the Doctor Wednesday. I got some wonky hearing issues suddenly and it might just be a blocked canal, but being able to hear people on the weekend would be nice.

Any high fat nut or seed will go rancid exposed to air. Best storage is vac-pac,and freeze...JJ

That is one of the ones I printed out for my loin I bought. But haven't gotten to that end of the loin yet. LOL!
I did 2 #'s Maple, and 2 #'s Chili-Garlic, which I got carried away with some Saracha Hot sauce, and other whack-a-mole seasonings like some ground ginger, red pepper flakes, and chit-fire hot sauces.
It's got an over-all great taste, not too hot, but savory, and I like the heck out of this Pork Loin Jerky making.
For less than $10, I've gotten good whole muscle meat to play with. Not too much trim waste either.
Pork may be my new favorite. It makes jerky I really like.

I've been vacuum marinading in a 1/2 gallon Mason jar in the fridge overnight. 2 pounds at a whack, sliced 1/4" thick, dehydrated 6 hours at 165°.
I think my jar could go double to 4 pounds. I vacuum seal it with my sealer and a jar adapter/hose. Lets me shake it, roll it, and tumble it around.
I believe one could do vacuum sealed quarts at 2 #'s in each.

That is one of the ones I printed out for my loin I bought. But haven't gotten to that end of the loin yet. LOL!
I did 2 #'s Maple, and 2 #'s Chili-Garlic, which I got carried away with some Saracha Hot sauce, and other whack-a-mole seasonings like some ground ginger, red pepper flakes, and chit-fire hot sauces.
It's got an over-all great taste, not too hot, but savory, and I like the heck out of this Pork Loin Jerky making.
For less than $10, I've gotten good whole muscle meat to play with. Not too much trim waste either.
Pork may be my new favorite. It makes jerky I really like.

I've been vacuum marinading in a 1/2 gallon Mason jar in the fridge overnight. 2 pounds at a whack, sliced 1/4" thick, dehydrated 6 hours at 165°.
I think my jar could go double to 4 pounds. I vacuum seal it with my sealer and a jar adapter/hose. Lets me shake it, roll it, and tumble it around.
I believe one could do vacuum sealed quarts at 2 #'s in each.
The loin I got? I literally just had the membrane on it, thats what was keeping the fat on. Easiest trimming ever! Can't say no to that!

Someone makes a "toasted sesame seed oil" you might try... It has a really good intense sesame flavor....
sesame oil.jpg

Someone makes a "toasted sesame seed oil" you might try... It has a really good intense sesame flavor....
View attachment 375618
Thats actually what the recipe calls for, but it doesn't come through enough for me; thus I want to tweak that aspect. I love that stuff, I go through a bottle every other week on food. Probably not healthy for me..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky