Ref; Strawberry-Mango-Rhubarb-Ginger Jam

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I know, heck of a long name for Jam!

I love Mango. Rhubarb and strawberry are a natural combination made in heaven as far as I'm concerned. I combined those fruits and added in a healthy dose of ginger.

Exact ingredients: <Or as close as I got>

2.75 cups of Mango. <It's hard to really measure fruit when you cut it up, but I feel this is accurate>.

2 cups of roughly chopped strawberry.

3 cups of rhubarb.

1/4 cup Lemon Juice.

1 1/4 cup water (Approx)

Approx 2 tablespoon of ground ginger.

4 cups of sugar. <We did 4 cups and I think it's a bit sweet, my dad says it's just right. If I do another batch, I'll reduce to 3 and go from there>.

1 box of Pectin.

Directions:

Slice up the fruit, being careful not to cut your self when handling mangos. They are very slimy when you peel them and that pit is an unusual shape. Sort of oblong. Worth gnawing on, alot of sweet juice comes out of that mango flesh around the pit.

Add the fruit, lemon juice, water, and ginger to your pot. Lightly mash around with a potato masher.

Bring the mixture to a boil and stir frequently, ensuring the rhubarb becomes tender.<It took me about 10 minutes to get it from cold to the rhubarb being tender>

Turn off the heat and add the pectin, and sugar and stir rapidly and bring back to a roiling boil.

Hold roiling boil for several minutes as you stir. You will likely notice that the rhubarb has effectively dissolved. In fact..all the fruit kind of did. This may be a mistake on my part on timing.

Remove from heat to allow to cool and set. <I spooned some on a small plate to put in a fridge/freezer to cool down to see if it set properly. It did. Also you know you need to taste test.>

Now if you want to can right away, you'd immediately start canning from this point. We plan to can it tommorrow. We got a bit distracted today and never got the canning stuff out. A wild turkey showed up in our yard <and we live in town thus the oddness> and it had chicks. Every dog around here went nuts and we were yelling at dogs and the poor thing was looking for one of it's chicks. Of course when I remember to get my phone to snap a picture..the turkey is gone!

I hope others try this and let me know what they think. The ginger I used is fresh, and quite high grade, it has a nice finish to it. A bit tart, and..spicy. Ginger spicy, I think it will be very good on some toast.

Attachments

• 20190619_145356.jpg
    20190619_145356.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Bearcarver
Alright it's sat overnight in the fridge and it's some what runny, so for the above, you'll need to consider more then one box of pectin. <We plan to add a second box with a cup of boiling water as per directions on pectin>.

Take some of that runny jam and reduce/thicken it.
Then use it as a glaze on smoked pork loin or chops.
Should be really good.

It's funny you mention that because guess what my mom was doing last night when I had the pulled pork out? LOL

I think it would be good as a glaze on chicken for salads as well. Wish I could email every one samples :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky