Ref; Smoked Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I've read thread(s) on here about it, googled it..and I still have questions. I actually did this on the first smoke with my 140s I just got it. Loved them, one site said do them for an hour. I did. Cooled them off, cracked one, ate it. No smokey flavour. So I smoked them, and put them back on for another hour. They did get that smokey flavour.

So I'm curious about a few things, namely..should I just put them on for 2 hours? 3? Do I crack the shell? I like the bacon esque flavours the cracked ones have, but few places I saw had them taken off, cracked, then put back on.

Finally; what wood should I use? I was using apple wood as I was smoking pork and chicken, but is smoked eggs really meant for stronger tasting woods?

Are you cooking raw eggs or hard boiled? I tried raw eggs a long long time ago. Hot smoked them for a bit, and two of the four eggs cracked and leaked egg gunk all over the base of my smoker. The other two didn't get much smoke flavor, and the egg texture was kinda rubbery. It's tough to get smoke penetration through a shell. If your doing hard boiled then peel the eggs and cold smoke with your favorite wood. The strength of the smoke flavor is a personal choice. I would start off lite smoke and see how you like it. Then adjust for your preference. Let us know how it goes.

Chris

Raw eggs. I didn't have any cracks. Just didn't get the mentioned bacon like flavour till I cracked them a bit after an hour of them being in there. My total time was 1 hour at 235f. Pulled, ate one, not any smoke flavour. So I cracked them a bit, put back on for another hour at 235f. I was using apple wood, got the bacony flavour a bit then. I'm just hoping a grand master of the smoker reveals the secret because so many blogs mention different methods etc.

If you think about it a shell wont let bacteria in and eggs are shelf stable for several days after being layed,the shell plus membrane protect it so boiled and peeled,may make some for deviled eggs this weekend with chipotle powder instead of paprika on top for garnish

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky