Ref; Repurposing my Closet..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I decided since largely my closet was just full of junk <as in things that I don't even know what they were/belonged to> I'd start clearing it out, and my dad had this nice wire shelf he got on clearance for me to use for storage.

So I can now some what get all my stuff in one spot. <I also wanted to keep expensive stuff away from every one who just uses it like salt and pepper.>

Yep..it's messy. I had to remove random woven baskets I do believe have been hidden in there for two decades or so lol.

Any one else have a dedicated area to put all their stuff up so they can just easily see what they got?

Note; the bottle is seaseme oil, not really a BBQ thing but I always end up misplacing my bottles...and the red pepper under that is actually a stack of Sky Lanterns. If you've never used Sky Lanterns, they are awesome, but be sure the area you use them isn't super dry.

Attachments

• cd04eb493316a771f8a175941c767eb4.jpg
    cd04eb493316a771f8a175941c767eb4.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180729_200100.jpg
    20180729_200100.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180729_200112.jpg
    20180729_200112.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 35
Looks good! I like the idea of trying to get things organized. I've been on a mission to get organized and have my stuff easily accessible to make a cook easy.

Looks good! I like the idea of trying to get things organized. I've been on a mission to get organized and have my stuff easily accessible to make a cook easy.
I get frustrated because I'll see a jar of some thing I plan to use; but don't see how low it is and just take for granted I'm good and then find out it's any thing but. I plan to pick up a mini fridge to set under that shelving where the sky lanterns and AC box is and use it for curing projects. <I only do 10 or so pounds at a time tops, and I could still have a place to store a few bottles of soda etc>.

I might end up having to put a small light in there at some point just to stop bashing my toe into things LOL

I am so jealous. We are spending a few months at the MIL, and all my smoking supplies are in one of those plastic tubs from the big box store, and that has other stuff stacked on top of it. I must say it has improved my prep routine, I make dang sure I got everything out of the box before I start prepping!

I am so jealous. We are spending a few months at the MIL, and all my smoking supplies are in one of those plastic tubs from the big box store, and that has other stuff stacked on top of it. I must say it has improved my prep routine, I make dang sure I got everything out of the box before I start prepping!
I had all my stuff crammed into random nooks and crannies, and it was like 'I had it some where..' and I'd either end up not having it, or I'd have to rebuy it, then re find it. When I do sausage making the night before I take a box and go through my list of things needed for seasoning etc and put them in it and put it aside so I don't need to rush around looking. It may not look pretty to have a tub with random spices and casings etc in it, but it sure is alot easier to have my checklist done the night before :)

A year or so ago I built a wooden book case out of scrap one by fours that I keep by the patio door to keep all BBQ stuff. Keep my cook books, folders of recipes, tongs and various other things there to stop them from getting mixed up with the rest of the other kitchen stuff.

A year or so ago I built a wooden book case out of scrap one by fours that I keep by the patio door to keep all BBQ stuff. Keep my cook books, folders of recipes, tongs and various other things there to stop them from getting mixed up with the rest of the other kitchen stuff.
I was thinking of using old whiskey boxes <the old wooden kinds> but this works just as well. I haven't even tried to organize my cookbook collection in a while. I got an entire cupboard full of those+more on a shelf+more on random shelves. My mother has this habit of buying ethnic cook books for me, so I have about 20 of each type and she keeps buying them and giving them to me. We got a Half priced book here, makes it all to tempting lol

I bought a storage cabinet several years ago to store my stuff in, then bought another a month ago to store extra plastics, bowls, canned goods and baking racks in. The brown cabinet that I got several years ago I'd reinforced the top of it so I could put my slicer and stuffer on it. The white cabinet is not reinforced, but I store my #22 1 hp. Cabela's grinder in the corner of my kitchen counter (after getting approval from my wife).

Closed:

IMG_0075.JPG

Ingredient Cabinet open:

IMG_0076.JPG

You can see the reinforcement blocks I screwed and glued into the top left and right corners of the cabinet ↑.

Misc. Stuff Cabinet Open:

IMG_0077.JPG

....which is all the junk laying around the kitchen that we can't throw out (I tried, caught hell, will never do that again!).....

I actually just got a minifridge for 30 USD to start using as a small project fridge for curing and so forth! I only do at most 10-12 pound batches <I estimate that for a slab of pork belly>. Figure I can put my lil 2.5 stuffer on top if need be and so forth!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky