Ref; Question on Baby Back Ribs..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I normally have always done ribs just sauced and on the grill, never really heard of 3-2-1 ribs until I looked here and a few actual books for smoker recipes. Now I've got a rack of Baby back ribs in my fridge for Monday and I've seen people both prepare and leave over night, or just put the rub on the day of and I don't know which way to do it!

Should I remove the membrane today and do the rub or leave it till tommorrow? I mean does it impact the flavour alot, or is it really just a matter of getting things done ahead of time?? I am just curious as to what people prefer. Do I need to apply mustard to them or skip that all together and just go straight to the rub?

I would suggest 2-2-1 or 3-1-1 with BBR. I would put rub on right before, not overnight. Overnight the salt will draw liquid out of the meat and you'll see it all in the AM. You want that moisture staying in the meat. Mustard isn't necessary. It's mainly to help the rub stick and helps create a bit of a bark. You can do that with a little oil too, but the meat itself is moist enough that tplent of rub will stick. Some of this depends on how much rub you want on there. If you want more pork flavor, the amount of rub on just the moist meat is enough. If you want them highly seasoned, use something to help a thicker layer to stick to the rack. Just my thoughts. I have ribs in the smoker right now! Getting ready to unfoil them and throw them back in the smoke to tighten up a little. Enjoy!

Aha I was wondering because this Jalapeno Honey Mustard I use isn't cheap and I'm almost out..and I was wondering if it actually mattered flavoured wise. I don't even overly taste the rub I put on stuff. I'll keep all of this in mind..

My oddity is I'm not going to foil with apple juice. I'm doing mango and apple juice to see how that turns out. I'd probably eat shoe leather if it tasted like Mango, so I figured mango with a spicy bbq sauce oughta turn out well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky