Ref; Osso Buco time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Now back in July I shot my mouth off and Briggy made Osso Buco after I threw the idea out there; to my shame I my self, had never gotten to do the Osso Buco on my smoker yet my self. Today is the day that I am.

I'll be following https://girlscangrill.com/recipe/beef/smoked-osso-buco/ this as my recipe, except I don't plan to add olives. <Can't stand the taste of olives, or texture. One of those things I just never can>. I'm a bit wary of 4 hours at 275f, but hey, it's what the recipe calls for, I guess I'll do it. <I still am unsure how these small shanks will hold up>.

It calls for Hickory, but I'll be using Pitboss Competition Blend pellets in the AMNPS... I'll start the process soon and snap pictures.

Any one think the 275f for 4hrs seems high? Like I'd hate to have the smaller shanks be trashed.

4 hours for the traditional Veal Shanks is too long but not for Beef. There is lots of room to adjust, if you are worried. Put 2 hours of smoke and finish with the braise. Other than cooking the pot dry and/or burning the sauce and meat, this can't be screwed up...JJ

Just got them in the smoker..and the pellets are looking like they want to fight me today. I might just get rid of these Pitboss pellets honestly. Every time I've used them they don't want to stay lit etc etc.

Tom I did it with Beef not Veal,no olives in mine.2 hours should give it a good smoky taste.I would braise in the oven rather then the smoker. JMHO
Richie
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/poor-mans-osso-buco.255861/
Our kitchen has turkey being made in it today too. Don't ask me why. I asked why my father decided to start making a meal when I was making a meal. He said 'It's for stock'. Guess we'll have options for dinner! Sides this gives me an excuse to go out periodically and try to figure out why there is a Cessna doing air stunts overhead LOL

Attachments

• 1800276_561323013975091_1512612198_n.jpg
    1800276_561323013975091_1512612198_n.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 23
4 hours for the traditional Veal Shanks is too long but not for Beef. There is lots of room to adjust, if you are worried. Put 2 hours of smoke and finish with the braise. Other than cooking the pot dry and/or burning the sauce and meat, this can't be screwed up...JJ
Thanks Jimmy, didn't see your post, my forum feed is being wonky today..and yes, I am doing beef. I never seen veal ones here even! I'm not worried I guess because 4 hrs for any sizable chunk of beef at 250-275f would still lead me to the stall temps. I just fuss like an old lady when trying new things!

Good start for an awesome dish. Are you making gremolata for it?
Quite unlikely I'm afraid. As I don't have a lemon..or fresh parsley..I figured not screwing this up to begin with was gonna be good enough..now the pressure is on!

I guess just not checking for an hour or so was a bad plan. I rather expect this meal to be ruined because of the Pitboss pellets just deciding to be such crap.

All three rows of pellets had burned/were burning when I went out to pull the shanks off to go into the pot with every thing else..as you can see.

Attachments

• 20180922_141439.jpg
    20180922_141439.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 19
No fancy plated picture just because as always eating later then planned and all that..

It ended up not to smokey; just right really. If shank wasn't so costly I'd have this monthly!

Been awhile since we bought Beef Shank. How costly was it, considering most think it is worthless except for soup. Our store had shank, chix backs and pork neckbones, $.99 per pound...JJ

Been awhile since we bought Beef Shank. How costly was it, considering most think it is worthless except for soup. Our store had shank, chix backs and pork neckbones, $.99 per pound...JJ
Here it's charged like roast, this I got on sale at 2.99 a pound. I've asked a store butcher and it's just such a low demand item they can't carry enough to charge a cheap price, so it's pretty much a 'special' item.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky