1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ref; First Smoked Cheese!

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by TomKnollRFV, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

So I went to Pick n Save <Kroger owns them> to get that 99 cent pork butt, and they had Roundy brand cheese on sale.. 1.99 for an 8 ounce block. So instead of going all crazy with good stuff for my first batch I just grabbed three of them. Pepper Jack, extra sharp cheddar, and some Mozzarella. <HandymannStann told me smoked Mozz is great in tomato soup...so well. I gotta try it now!>

I'm just using applewood pellets from Smokehouse, since it's my first go, I figured use a light sweet wood I know I can count on!

Expect the saga of more buckboard bacon soon, along with a turkey breast I got. <99 cents for young turkey breast..couldn't pass it up!>

Attached Files:

2. TomKnollRFV

Pulled after 4 hours on apple, vacc sealed and away for the wait in my project fridge!

Attached Files:

SmokinAl likes this.
  3. zachd

zachd Meat Mopper

Mn
    Looks good
    That is the good stuff! I hardly ever smoke the "good stuff" as it turns the stuff you bought to an amazing product

4. TomKnollRFV

Well I live in WI so you know, no lack of crazy cheese here. I can get habanero pepperjack etc which I wanna smoke.

5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The cheese looks great!
    Nice color!
    Al

6. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Looks good Tom, nicely colored. I have about 25 blocks of Cabot Cheddar sitting in the fridge waiting for a clear cool day to go in the smoker. Monday and Tuesday were cool enough but the rain/wind wouldn't stop. This weekend is supposed to be clear, but it's also supposed to get back up into the 80's so I'll have to wait a little while longer. Try horseradish if you can find it. It's really good.

Chris

7. handymanstan

handymanstan Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

Looks good Tom. A couple weeks and you will be in cheese bliss. Let me know what you think of the smoked soup. 4 Hours should give a deep smokiness and looks like you got a great color on them. Good job.

Stan

8. GATOR240

GATOR240 Smoking Fanatic

Good looking cheese and nice color. I didn't make nearly enough last winter as I'm almost out. I will definately correct that this time around!

9. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Try the smoked mozz on cheesesteak sammies.

10. TomKnollRFV

I definitely will Stan! Especially as it gets cooler out..nothing like tomato soup on a chilly day!

I can actually find it, these were just dirt cheap at 2 dollars a block at Pick n Save. I'm actually wanting to do cheese on the smoker after rubbing it down with spices too, a horse radish rub might be in order on a block of white!

Every one else! Thanks for the views and comments!