Ref; Favourite BBQs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Figured I'd kick this in and see if I can't cross reference/steal BBQ recipes from other people. I don't often make my own BBQ Sauce. There's several places that make it locally.. and my favourite commercial brand is available any where in the USA.

So here's my break down.
Commercial Sauce: Sweet Baby Ray. I love that sweet vidallia onion BBQ Sauce.

When I make my own? I long ago was trying to find a good way to do up a huge amount of chicken drummies on my grill for having the relatives over and turned to my fav cooking site..deep south dish. They have a Barq's rootbeer glazed drumstick thing there. I can link it if allowed.

So what's every one else's favourite mass produced national bbq sauce and recipe for their fav home made sauce? Not that I am going to shamelessly steal the recipes to try over time! <I totally am>

I like the basic Dinosaur BBQ sauce. It's not too sweet or too filled with fake smoke.

For my custom sauce, I use that as a key component along with ketchup, Karo, peach preserves and a few other odds and ends.

Bunny and I rarely sauce anymore and use it mainly as a dip. We love chicken leg lollipops hot smoked and then dipped in SBRs, Stubbs Sticky Sweet or Sonny’s sweet. As bottles empty, I make Lexington dip type sauce to use all the sauce up for pulled when out of Swamp Boys Bootleg Red.

Reactions: Jiffylush
I use SBR's too, but just about always doctor it up. I usually add a little bourbon, whiskey, or brandy, and not the good stuff. I use the cheapest I can find. Then I'll add one of the following preserves: apricot, peach, pear, or apple. The booze keeps it from getting too sweet from the preserves, and adds a nice edge to it. Then I heat it in the microwave. It mixes better when hot and doesn't cool off the meat like it does when added straight from the fridge.

Funny story. I went through a phase a fifteen years ago or so when I was enjoying high end tequila. Got over that and started sampling the better bourbons, whiskies, and scotches. A couple we were good friends with at the time bought me a bottle of 12 year Van Winkle Kentucky bourbon. I think they paid $50 for it at the time. I took one sip and hated it! All I could taste was wood, and not the good stuff. It literally puckered my mouth and got lousy reviews at Bevmo. I set it aside and tasted it every once in a while to see if anything had changed. It hadn't. I started using it to doctor my sauce.

About the time I was about to finish the bottle, and it had been at least five years since I received it, I read an article about an entire batch of Van Winkle bourbon getting stolen. I read up on the Van Winkle line and found out that nowadays that stuff costs a friggin' fortune! I obviously got a bottle from a bad batch, but it did doctor SBR pretty dang good!

I use SBR's too, but just about always doctor it up. I usually add a little bourbon, whiskey, or brandy, and not the good stuff. I use the cheapest I can find. Then I'll add one of the following preserves: apricot, peach, pear, or apple. The booze keeps it from getting too sweet from the preserves, and adds a nice edge to it. Then I heat it in the microwave. It mixes better when hot and doesn't cool off the meat like it does when added straight from the fridge.

Funny story. I went through a phase a fifteen years ago or so when I was enjoying high end tequila. Got over that and started sampling the better bourbons, whiskies, and scotches. A couple we were good friends with at the time bought me a bottle of 12 year Van Winkle Kentucky bourbon. I think they paid $50 for it at the time. I took one sip and hated it! All I could taste was wood, and not the good stuff. It literally puckered my mouth and got lousy reviews at Bevmo. I set it aside and tasted it every once in a while to see if anything had changed. It hadn't. I started using it to doctor my sauce.

About the time I was about to finish the bottle, and it had been at least five years since I received it, I read an article about an entire batch of Van Winkle bourbon getting stolen. I read up on the Van Winkle line and found out that nowadays that stuff costs a friggin' fortune! I obviously got a bottle from a bad batch, but it did doctor SBR pretty dang good!
That Winkle is now worth hundreds. Folks find out you’ve been using it for sauce.... Well.
There is no accounting for individual taste. I’d like to sample your Van Winkle sauce! B

I got a bottle of espresso tequila for free once; not a huge tequila fan, and it sort of sat around forever as I'd only do the occasional shot or a friend wanted to try it. Can't remember the brand, I used it in a simple bbq sauce once. Then it occured to me to look for it in a store. Friend got it down in Mexico and I some how suspect I'll never see it again LOL

My wife and I have been obsessed with the Blues Hogs BBQ sauce since finding it earlier this year. It’s phenominal on ribs! It’s a nice sweet sauce with just a tiny tiny kick to it.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
That Winkle is now worth hundreds. Folks find out you’ve been using it for sauce.... Well.
There is no accounting for individual taste. I’d like to sample your Van Winkle sauce! B

I hear ya, BD. The fact that Bevmo was selling it was probably an indication of the quality of the batch. It was almost undrinkable. I drink 98% of everything straight and know bad booze when I taste it.

Some of these I've never seen in stores near me. I bet people will think I'm weird if I end up ordering bbq sauce off amazon LOL

I use this as a base/ingredient more often than not but straight out of the bottle too.

We don't sauce much, well the wife likes her ribs sauced. When we do it's usually SBR's.

Chris

Can't believe you did that to Pappy.A good bourbon is Buffolo Trace around $26

Last edited:
I use SBR's too, but just about always doctor it up. I usually add a little bourbon,

add one of the following preserves: apricot,
SBR's , apricot preserves and some Makers Mark .
You hit that on the head . Been doin that mix for a long time . Great on chicken . Simmer in a pot on the stove , then I just dip the chicken and eat .

Only adult beverage I commonly have on hand is Rum...hrm. If you add fruit etc to a sauce and boil it down to your preferred thickness; how long will it last in the fridge?

I like to try different mass produced sauces. favorite around our house is SBR Hickory and Brown Sugar (wife likes it super sweet) and i am a fan of Blues Hog as well.

for homemade a popular one my family (and anyone else whose had it) is my candy apple red sauce...

1/4 stick margerine or butter
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup AC vinegar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic
2 Tbsp paprika (mild)

mix ingredients in a small pot.
bring to low boil and simmer for 20 minutes. l
et sit in fridge after cooling for a couple of hours.

can substitute brown sugar for raw sugar but will burn much easier.
can spice it up with cayenne pepper and hot paprika. or sweeten with more sugar.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Last edited:
Don’t really use commercial sauce but head country or sbr will get you home in a pinch. As far as favorite recipes, it depends on what it’s going on. noboundries has a great mustard sauce that I love on pork and chicken. Then again there’s vinegar sauce for pork and white sauce for chicken and on it it goes. Here’s my bourbon sauce.

Bourbon Sauce

4 oz Jim Beam

1 1/2 cup ketchup

1/2 cider vinegar

1/2 cup molasses

1/4 cup Worcestershire

2 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp Memphis style rub

1-2 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle

Pour bourbon into sauce pan and set to med heat. Swirl or stir until it reduces to about 2 tbsp. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients and simmer covered on low for about 15-20 minutes.

But for drinking I prefer 1792

Lance

I use this as a base/ingredient more often than not but straight out of the bottle too.
For commercial I usually use SBR original sauce. I don't normally make my own sauce but will add different things to the SBR to get different flavors or spice levels.
I also take OP or SBR and doctor it up to fit my spice craves for the dayand always add ACV to the mix.M tastes vary day to day but my wife is strait sbr or Masterpiece.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky