Ref; Eggnog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice

You should enjoy the SV. It's a great tool to have in the kitchen
Not to mention compact. I can't wait to get some nice fish and sous vide it with smoked salt and some cracked pepper all over it...but the eggs will be the trial run as it were.

First yeah they really can make bad eggs. The best eggs for this are fresh. When I had layers I always cracked eggs into a bowl first, its cheap insurance. As for salamella, I can't name you one person to ever have concocted the disease, can you? When I do meet someone I may re-evaluate my stance.

Now speaking of Nogg! I make all kinds of cold weather festive hot punches! Hot lemonade and cherry vodka? All coffee drinks? Hot Chocolates? Hot cider with red hots and rum? Hot buttered rum? Cherry Bounce? I even make buttered beer from Harry Potter fame! BUT of all the seasons drinks, Nogg is the best know and most widely accepted. After years of testing, this is my best recipe as of now (I do reserve the right to continue testing though).

NOGG!!
Ingredients:
8 eggs separated
1/3 cup captain morgan
1/3 cup cognac
4 cups heavy whipping cream
4 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon nutmeg and/or cinnamon
Directions:
Separate the eggs (yolk and white) Set the white aside. Mix yolks well, gradually adding the cream, milk, and sugar. Get back to the egg white and whip it until "soft peaks" form. Fold the white into the rest. Gradually add the alcohol. Either add nutmeg right away, or sprinkle on top later. AGE overnite if possible in refrigerator.

You can warm it in a chafing dish, its good in breakfast coffee, and if there is no better way you can think of, its great with Christmas cookies (or without). This year I even attempted something new with it. I made mini cream puffs (puff pastry) and used homemade eggnog pudding (custard) to fill them with. Needless to say the little old ladies wiped them out immediately before moving to the brandied rum cake. LOL

Listen, never change a recipe with fake milk, fake butter, fake sugar, and egg beaters. Its gonna suck. First its only once a year, second think of your guests who are not an old grandpa like you and third if you must just take a small cup of the good stuff. It's better than the whole punch bowl of crap!

Reactions: zwiller and Fgignac
Well I got Captain Morgans Spiced Rum and Vanilla Brandy..

Now I can't decide which recipe to follow yeesh!

Oh and I never met any one who had Salmonella either; I just merely read about people who have...and every time I do, I also realize they manage to ignore any food laws. One guy got it..but he also ate raw pork. So..I just assume the stupidity factor explains the salmonella occuring!

I do know someone who got it, and salmonella is no joke. However, that person raises chickens as a hobby and he's pretty sure he got it from contact with chicken feces and not from improper food safety. He was very VERY sick though. Hospitalized for over a week and lost a bunch of weight that he has yet to get back (this was over a year ago).

The occurrence of salmonella in eggs is very rare. As I said, I have probably eaten hundreds of raw eggs in my life with no ill effect. But seeing as how I have the means to pasteurize my eggs, I now do it. It's a small and easy step for extra safety.

Both recipes you have are similar. Here's how I would compare them at first glance:

- The recipe I use has more eggs and more sugar, making it a little richer and sweeter
- Both recipes have equal parts milk and heavy cream, which is the ideal ratio in my opinion. Don't skimp on the cream, it is definitely worth it
- Both recipes use a mix of brandy and rum (cognac is essentially the same thing as brandy, but from a specific region of France)
- Foamheart's recipe has less alcohol in it, making it more "everyone" friendly. The alcohol in there really adds a nice depth to it. When my sister was pregnant I had made some nog just for her that was non-alcoholic using rum extract flavor. I was actually pretty good, but not nearly as good as the real thing. My version has a nice bite to it. I would imagine that Foamheart's recipe is much more mellow, but with those great flavors still in there.
- My recipe has vanilla in it. I really like the vanilla in my nog, but be warned, it is VERY easy to overdo. When in doubt, put less and add more as necessary.
- Foamheart beats the egg whites before adding them to the nog. This makes for a very light, airy, and frothy nog. Whereas mine will be more thick and heavy.

Conclusion:

I don't think you can go wrong with either recipe. It really comes down to personal preference on texture and intensity of flavor. You might have to make several small batches of to test and tweak to your liking (shucks right? :p). One years I did the 12 days of eggnog trying to perfect my recipe before the family christmas party. Sometimes you've just gotta take one (or several) for the team... in the name of science ;)

Other notes:

- I agree 100% with making ahead and "aging" overnight in the fridge. Makes for a much better final product.
- I have actually never tried warm nog (other than in coffee). Always just drank it cold. Warm nog actually sounds pretty good. I'm going to have to try that.

Eggnog hack:

- If ever you feel the need to make the richest eggnog known to man. We're talking ludicrous richness here. Use ONLY egg yokes. you need 2 yokes to replace 1 whole egg. So instead of 6 eggs, 12 egg yokes. This stuff is stupidly rich

Reactions: zwiller
One years I did the 12 days of eggnog trying to perfect my recipe before the family christmas party. Sometimes you've just gotta take one (or several) for the team... in the name of science ;)

LOL! I do the same thing, scale a batch down and do several. Tasting as I go helps and smelling ingredients near the dish before adding too.

I agree with the risk being small but pasteurizing eliminates the risk and marries the flavor. Win win in my book. Do you guys suggest the warming actually ruins it? There's the risk of curdling but I can't imagine the taste is affected.

I'm going to have to flip a coin to see which I make this weekend!

In actuality I'll ask my dad which one they grew up with and make the one closer to that style. I've only ever known storebought, but since I am making it for the relatives as well, knowing their preferences will be important.

Do you guys suggest the warming actually ruins it? There's the risk of curdling but I can't imagine the taste is affected.

It shouldn't curdle as long as the temperature remains below 135*. I pasteurize eggs at 135* and they remain 100% liquid. The proteins in eggs start to solidify around 140* or 142* if memory serves me correctly. I put eggnog in hot coffee without problem. I think warm nog might be tasty. I'll be trying it.

I've only ever known storebought

I believe you, sir, are in for a treat ;)

It shouldn't curdle as long as the temperature remains below 135*. I pasteurize eggs at 135* and they remain 100% liquid. The proteins in eggs start to solidify around 140* or 142* if memory serves me correctly. I put eggnog in hot coffee without problem. I think warm nog might be tasty. I'll be trying it.

I believe you, sir, are in for a treat ;)
Hey I can pasteurize eggs for eggnog in advance, can I not? I might do a batch tonight <Pasteurizing> and then make egg nog tommorrow when I hot smoke my bacon :)

And I made a batch following Fgignac's recipe after my dad said he likes it thicker. I guess they had it a few times when he was younger <He had one of those giant families so when they had relatives over alot of folk who only liked things a certain way>

We're going to switch nutmeg for half cinnamon/half penzy baking spice and a splash more vanila for x-mas. Then I'll also have to make Kevin's. I sort of want to make french toast with this stuff now! Uh oh!

Attachments

• 20181221_153558.jpg
    20181221_153558.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 6
Made this today, Fgignac's recipe. I increased the rum to equal the brandy amount, at SWMBO's request. Very good nog and it will get saved into the recipe book for sure.
I had a little problem with the pasteurization of the eggs, though. I did them in the S/V at 135 for 1.25 hr. but they ended up with the whites being partially cooked. I strained them through a sieve to separate the cooked bits and then added a couple more eggs to make up for the loss. I looked on the interwebs and it seems most recipes for egg pasteurization call for 140 degrees for 5 minutes. Thoughts?

Made this today, Fgignac's recipe. I increased the rum to equal the brandy amount, at SWMBO's request. Very good nog and it will get saved into the recipe book for sure.
I had a little problem with the pasteurization of the eggs, though. I did them in the S/V at 135 for 1.25 hr. but they ended up with the whites being partially cooked. I strained them through a sieve to separate the cooked bits and then added a couple more eggs to make up for the loss. I looked on the interwebs and it seems most recipes for egg pasteurization call for 140 degrees for 5 minutes. Thoughts?

I saw that as well, but I did Fgignac's method <though we actually ended up pulling them out after an hour>.

I've noticed there's a few little bits that remind me of tapioca. I'm not going to mess about. I've researched more after seeing the temps and the reasoning for the 140f is that it only takes a few minutes at such a temp to do the Bacteria in...HOWEVER...

The Yolk after 5 minutes isn't remotely heated to this temperature. There's articles about it that go into more details, but it's always a risk. The white should appear cloudly, but still as if raw though Braz. Maybe try reducing the temp to 1322f and see what happens? Just wondering if it heated it up a bit above 135f.

Right now the batch I'll make for the relatives will definitely get a touch more vanilla and swap the nutmeg for a baking spice blend.

I had a little problem with the pasteurization of the eggs, though. I did them in the S/V at 135 for 1.25 hr. but they ended up with the whites being partially cooked.

This hasn't happened to me. I always get cloudy, but still liquid egg whites. Did you put them in an ice bath right out of the SV? My only theory would be that the extra time (1h25 instead if 1h15) might have made the difference. And if you didn't ice bath the eggs, your cooking time might actually have been longer than that. Eggs are both temp AND time sensitive so, in this case, you probably want to heat them for the minimum necessary time.

That's just an opinion though, because I haven't had this issue so I'm not really sure.

I looked on the interwebs and it seems most recipes for egg pasteurization call for 140 degrees for 5 minutes. Thoughts?

I have also seen this method. But I suspect that it would produce partially curdled whites. Eggs are very temperature sensitive and a couple of degrees can make a big difference. This page has a great comparison of eggs cooked at different temps. It is also where I got the info for pasteurizing them.

http://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Poultry_and_Eggs

Thanks for that link. Looks to be a very informative site.

Just to clarify, I pulled the eggs after 1hr 15min and then put them in a cold water bath for 20 min. Question: do you start with the eggs in cold water or bring the water up to 135 before adding the eggs? I added them to already heated water.

If it were totally up to me I wouldn't even bother with pasteurization for eggnog but my wife is something of a "nervous Nellie" about such things.

I have always put them in once the water is up to temp. Don't really know what else to suggest. Sorry

Though for the highest level of safety you could go for a fully cooked egg nog

Here is the recipe I have been using for years. Nice and simple

6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup brandy
1/3 cup rum
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups milk

Beat the eggs for 2 or 3 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed until very frothy. Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Turn the mixer off and stir in the brandy, rum, whipping cream and milk Chill before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with more nutmeg. Makes about 2-1/2 quarts

I used a version of this yesterday and got compliments. I used a dozen yolks only. Not overly strong but you knew the alcohol was in there. Good Recipe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky