Ref; Eggnog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I'm going to put this as a side dish as it's a beverage...

I've never made eggnog before, and I want to try it. The books I have on hand all have very complicated, needing 3-5 kinds of spirits eggnog and sound more like if I had a cup I'd be speaking Gibberish.

Any one here got a simple, inexpensive starter recipe? I just want to try and make it, I don't need any thing fancy, just some sort of tutorial to this!

Here is the recipe I have been using for years. Nice and simple

6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup brandy
1/3 cup rum
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups milk

Beat the eggs for 2 or 3 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed until very frothy. Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Turn the mixer off and stir in the brandy, rum, whipping cream and milk Chill before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with more nutmeg. Makes about 2-1/2 quarts

Here is the recipe I have been using for years. Nice and simple

6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup brandy
1/3 cup rum
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups milk

Beat the eggs for 2 or 3 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed until very frothy. Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Turn the mixer off and stir in the brandy, rum, whipping cream and milk Chill before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with more nutmeg. Makes about 2-1/2 quarts
Thanks!

I assume eggnog is safe to consume because the spirits kill the nasties?

Hey Fgignac, that sounds like a great recipe!
Gonna copy & paste it!
Al

I've tried several, and this is the one I keep coming back to. Enjoy

Thanks!

I assume eggnog is safe to consume because the spirits kill the nasties?

It's actually quite rare for eggs to be contaminated with salmonela. I have eaten a lot of raw eggs and have never had a problem. That being said, now that I have a sous-vide cooker I just pasteurize them to be completely certain they are safe. Here's the recommended procedure for pasteurizing whole eggs in the shells.

- Place eggs in water bath at 135*, no bad needed
- Cook eggs for at least 1h15
- Place eggs in ice bath for 20 minutes
- Pasteurized eggs are still liquid, but have a cloudy white and will still "behave" like raw eggs
- Pasteurized eggs will keep in the refrigerator for at least 3 weeks

You could also find a recipe for cooked eggnog. I have done that in the past but found it was more trouble than I was willing to go to.

Don't put in the spirit of x-mas pass
Bad Santa made me do that
Richie
Recipes sound good with the pasteurized eggs

Reactions: Fgignac
Well I like a Sous Vide, but I'm sure I can figure out some thing! I need to pick up the Brandy though!

Since I suspect the amount of Brandy I'll use will leave a fair bit left, and it's bad I need to ask living in a state where we make Brandy Old Fashions..

Can I use a cherry Brandy or definitely stick to a non flavoured one?

Good Call...

For the rum, I take it we go with the standard spiced rum or do you guys mean dark? I always assume spiced but you never know!

I would keep it light so as to not make the egg nog look like a chocolate JMHO
Richie

Can I use a cherry Brandy or definitely stick to a non flavoured one?

I've only ever used plain, but hey, give it a try and let me know how it turns out ;)

For the rum, I take it we go with the standard spiced rum or do you guys mean dark? I always assume spiced but you never know!

I've used light and dark, both are fine. But I have never used spiced. Might have to try that this year

I've only ever used plain, but hey, give it a try and let me know how it turns out ;)

I've used light and dark, both are fine. But I have never used spiced. Might have to try that this year
I guess as always I'll volunteer my self to be a guinea pig! I'll get the goods this week, well Good, we got every thing else year round but I'll be picking up some Brandy then!

It's actually quite rare for eggs to be contaminated with salmonela. I have eaten a lot of raw eggs and have never had a problem. That being said, now that I have a sous-vide cooker I just pasteurize them to be completely certain they are safe. Here's the recommended procedure for pasteurizing whole eggs in the shells.

- Pasteurized eggs are still liquid, but have a cloudy white and will still "behave" like raw eggs

You could also find a recipe for cooked eggnog. I have done that in the past but found it was more trouble than I was willing to go to.

I wish I would have had my Sous Vide back in my days of eating raw eggs & pumping Iron!!!

Bear

Reactions: Fgignac
Simple Eggnog:
Glass of Milk, add two eggs, spoon of sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Beat the froth out of it.
If you want booze, add it.

When I was a baby, I was fed a lot of this by orders of the Doctor. It was to get milk and egg protein in my skinny little butt.

Simple Eggnog:
Glass of Milk, add two eggs, spoon of sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Beat the froth out of it.
If you want booze, add it.

When I was a baby, I was fed a lot of this by orders of the Doctor. It was to get milk and egg protein in my skinny little butt.
Man if a doctor told folk to do that now I bet he'd get sued!

Man if a doctor told folk to do that now I bet he'd get sued!

In 1950, things were different....
And raw eggs weren't scary.

But shotters were! Danged needles the size of framing nails, attached to glass syringes that were instruments of pain. Held by sadists. RUN! :eek:

But worse was the Dentist. That hack was downright evil!

Since you seem to know your stuff here..Now I lack a SV, so this has been rolling around my noggin..

If I put my smoker at 135f, and I put them in for an hour <no smoke, just for heating at that low temp> does it pasteurize them?

I'd put them in of course in a bowl of water.

Since you seem to know your stuff here..Now I lack a SV, so this has been rolling around my noggin..

If I put my smoker at 135f, and I put them in for an hour <no smoke, just for heating at that low temp> does it pasteurize them?

I'd put them in of course in a bowl of water.

As long as you are able to maintain the water temperature at 135* for 1h15 they should be pasteurized. I have no idea if you will be able to do that by using your smoker though. You would have to do a test run to find out. Air and water transfer heat in very different ways.

As long as you are able to maintain the water temperature at 135* for 1h15 they should be pasteurized. I have no idea if you will be able to do that by using your smoker though. You would have to do a test run to find out. Air and water transfer heat in very different ways.
Well..as it turns out we just decided to buy the Sous Vide.

My dad got it for 64 bucks, the Instant Pot one, so I guess you could say he did pretty darn well on that at Kohls!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky