Ref; Buckboard on Apple and Cherry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I originally wanted to try and cold smoke this like Disco does yesterday when I pulled it out to rinse and soak for 20-30 mins. Unfortunately it was Sleeting. I wasn't overly motivated to try. I've also gotten some bug or another and new medications that have me feeling sicker then usual, and fatigued. <Neuropathy pain meds. My doctor said most people would have asked for them a few years before I did. I'm just darn stubborn>.

So I got the MES going at 150f, and plan to do that for an hour, 160f for an hour, then leave it at 170f till they hit 145f to 155f. I'm using Lumberjack's Fruitwood blend pellets. I was almost tempted to bust out the garlic or rosemary ones..but I plan to use rosemary on the ham I'll cure using Foamy's method with a porkbutt for thanksgiving.

Sorry I've not been so active gang..but I had to rebuild my computer. Been just plain under the weather, and haven't been smoking as much because I hit a slump for ideas. We do plan to either buy a decent small metal shed, or build one and just leave the smoker in it. Might need to rig up a good light if we get the metal one, but I want to make sure I can actually run my smoker in it, and grill possibly.

PS: Yes, I really like to load bacon up with black pepper..as does my dad. This is what happens lol.

Attachments

• 20181021_131458.jpg
    20181021_131458.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20181021_125857.jpg
    20181021_125857.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: smokin peachey
Nothing wrong with that amount of pepper. I almost always pepper more when frying up. I’ll be looking for the money shots. Hope u get to feeling better & pain meds work out for ya.

Nothing wrong with that amount of pepper. I almost always pepper more when frying up. I’ll be looking for the money shots. Hope u get to feeling better & pain meds work out for ya.
Thanks! I always add pepper when frying too. Some day I will replicate that pepper bark some bacon gets. I'm wondering if they basically roll the slabs in pepper a few times and then smoke it.

It got to where if I was doing excercise stuff, at night the pain was so bad I wasn't sleeping, and I'm not going to stop trying to get in better shape because of Neuropathy, that's a path to really bad health. I might not ever get to 180 lbs again, but I sure don't want to reach 300 either!

Just took a picture of it because I checked if the AMNPS is still going. Some colour..I doubt I'll get the deep colour I've had before. Far more wind when the MES is alone on the porch. But now it'll cruise till it reaches 145f+ and then an overnight rest in the fridge.

Attachments

• 20181021_162106.jpg
    20181021_162106.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 73
Looks like you are off to a good start. Maybe the wind will die down when it gets dark.
Be nice. Though when the light goes I won't know if the stuff is still going or not LOL. Not a big deal. I just like it to look dark, the flavour though is what matters.

Sitting around 140f Internal. I finally caved in and turned it up a whole 10 degrees from 170f to 180f. Boy is it chilly outside..but it'll be smokey too. Even if I had to relight my AMNPS. <Never seems to like burning around those corners>.

Now I have a brain fart moment for some reason; do I wrap this in tinfoil or saran wrap for the overnight/2 day rest in my fridge to mellow the smoke? I don't think I even did last time because every one wanted to try it right off so I just let it cool down for a few hours and started slicing!

Hit readings from 151f-155f..pulled and now cooling before it goes in the fridge overnight..

Attachments

• 20181021_232522.jpg
    20181021_232522.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20181021_232526.jpg
    20181021_232526.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 67
That BB looks really good - nice color

Point for sure
Chris

Nothing wrong with the looks of that BB. I struggled with the wind myself yesterday doing a spatchcock turkey. Even in the shack with door shut. Going to use it to make smoked turkey rice soup. That makes one bangin soup
9E653DCF-BE40-490F-9940-77ABB441C26E.jpeg
H

Thanks Ya'all... sliced a few pieces up here to get going in the day. Way overslept so figured bacon will wake me up right?

I like that shed, sort of what I want! I still don't know why them pellets were so problematic, or maybe it's my imagination expecting greater volumes of smoke. The colour is right, so maybe it's my imagination. <Though it's been damp and windy here..I mean we had sleet and snow on saturday!>

I’m enjoying the cool weather but not ready for sleet & snow. The shed is multipurpose. When doing sausages or bologna I pull the smoker & put a turkey fryer burn in it. Can do about 60#. I’ve just started using pellets to cold smoke an haven’t had many problems except need to keep shed door open or they go out. Gets a lot of wind here so need to choose the right day.

I’m enjoying the cool weather but not ready for sleet & snow. The shed is multipurpose. When doing sausages or bologna I pull the smoker & put a turkey fryer burn in it. Can do about 60#. I’ve just started using pellets to cold smoke an haven’t had many problems except need to keep shed door open or they go out. Gets a lot of wind here so need to choose the right day.
We're thinking with a steel one we'd store charcoal etc in it <and the snow blower out of season>. As long as I can use the smoker in it, I'm happy. Since I plan to put it on a stand, no way I'd be moving it in and out.

Sliced up and packaged..some in fridge, more in freezer..I like to call it bacon mountain.

Think the slicer almost overheated and boy did that pepper make it a mess to clean.

Attachments

• 20181022_130642.jpg
    20181022_130642.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20181022_132331.jpg
    20181022_132331.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20181022_132342.jpg
    20181022_132342.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20181022_135430.jpg
    20181022_135430.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 62
Looks bangin. Did u freeze it a little before slicing?
Nope. Sliced fine with out freezing except for it being a bit bigger then the slicer. I lifted it up on each return and just slide it down. I can see why people told me to get the 10.5 inch model but it is what it is!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky