Red's Maiden Cook on the New Gravity Fed Smoker--Finally!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
I finally got the legs and casters under my new (to me) Gravity fed smoker on Sunday.  I'm not much of a welder or fabricator, but if your interested, I've posted that thread over in the builds forum:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ation-job-on-my-southern-q-gravity-fed-smoker

I couldn't wait to fire her up and cook something, so I did a rack of Baby Backs and a Beef Chuck Roast on Monday afternoon.

I got the smoker out and started a  half-chimney of KBB...didn't have any lump on hand, so I'm making due.  Pretty easy to set this thing up...dumped the half-chimney of lit coals in the coal chute, then filled the chute about half full of unlit coal (about 6 lbs total of charcoal).  Then hooked up the Guru and set it to run at 260...a little hotter than I ever smoke in my pellet pusher.

A shot of her all loaded with coal and coming up to temp:

Not a great shot because of the shadows, but getting close to temp.  Time to get the meat ready!

It took the Guru about 40 minutes to get the pit up to target temp.  I used my Mav  ET-732 to check how accurate the Guru was...pretty dang close!

I rubbed the BB's with some Spicy Apple rub:

A nicely marbled chuck roast...weighed almost 3 lbs.

Rubbed the chuckie with some Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow brisket rub.

Into the smoke!  Sorry about the pic quality...it was a bright afternoon.

No foil ribs today...just shut the pit up and let it go!  Only thing I did was add a couple of pecan chunks to the fire box every hour or so.  

4 hours in, and things are looking good.  I'm gonna glaze the ribs with some of Jeff's sauce now.

Nearly an hour later and one more application of sauce...the ribs are done!

The ribs are for dinner tonight...the chuckie is only at around 185* IT, so while we're eating, I'll foil the chuck roast with a splash of worsty, and it'lll keep on cooking for another hour or so.

My plate (first helping)...3 bones with a side of Mrs. Red's roasted onion potatoes.

A closer look.  The glaze got a little smeared when I was slicing these on the cutting board, so the presentation is a little sloppy...but man they were good!

Didn't get a final shot of the chuckie, but I pulled it at 200* IT, left it in the foil and let it rest in the oven for at least an hour.  Then straight into the fridge until later this week.  I'll decide then whether it'll be pulled or sliced, depending on how tender it got.

Overall very pleased with the performance of the gravity fed pit.  Very efficient...ran it at 260* for nearly 7 hours and used less than 5 lbs of charcoal.  And that Guru is the bomb!  Once it got the pit up to temp, it stayed there all day without more than a 3 degree swing either way.  Even when I opened the door, the pit temp recovered within just a few minutes.

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out!

Red

Looks like the new toy did a fine job man! Seems like you're well satisfied with the guru too... Nice smoke! 
beercheer.gif

Great cook in the new smoker. Ribs look awesome

Looks like the new toy did a fine job man! Seems like you're well satisfied with the guru too... Nice smoke! 
beercheer.gif
Thanks Jeremy!  It's good to hear from you man..thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the point!
Great cook in the new smoker. Ribs look awesome
Thanks Adam!  They were very good!  I appreciate the point... 
icon14.gif

Red

Very nice Red....   Those smokers are awesome.....   You will surely enjoy it for years to come....

Last edited:
Looks awesome, gonna have to build me something like that.
Thanks Rob!  I know now why these pits have gotten so popular in competition circles.  They are rock solid on temp control and very easy to run for extended time periods.

Great job Red!

That rib looks delicious, smoke ring all the way thru!

POINTS!

Al
Thank you Al!  Yeah I never got that much smoke ring on the pellet muncher.

Appreciate the point!

Great looking cook on the new cooker.  Gravity fed...oh man...I need one <searching craigslist> haha
Yeah I know what you mean!  I couldn't give full price for a new one...they're awfully proud of them...so I had to search boards for months until this one came along.

Thanks Brother! 
Good to see that cooker being used again!

Great looking food!
Thanks SM...the kind words are appreciated!

Red that sure does look good from here,points 

Richie
Thank you for the point Richie!

Red

Last edited:
2thumbs.gif
 Looks great Red!

Lots of happy smokin' to ya! 
Beer.gif

BTW.... those plates are really nice! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky