Red's 24x46 Reverse Flow Patio Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice patio smoker build going on there. Good job on the drain pipe install. I started my build back in 2011 and its still not finished but usable......lol

Reactions: seenred
great work!

Can’t wait for that first brisket!!!

Thank you Justin! I'm gettin' eager to cook on it too!

Nice patio smoker build going on there. Good job on the drain pipe install. I started my build back in 2011 and its still not finished but usable......lol

Thanks Joe! I've read through your build a couple times...got a couple ideas from that. I can relate to how long a build can take lol! I've been puttering along on this build for months. I don't have any deadlines to meet...just working on it when I want, and taking my time to get it right the first time.

Red

Reactions: boykjo
That's some really nice work on that . Gonna be a nice build .
Dangerfield was hilarious, and Caddyshack is still one of my all time favorite comedies!
I saw him live way ( way ) back when . 17 rows from the stage . He walked out , stopped and adjusted his tie and the whole place lost it . Hadn't even said a word yet .

That's some really nice work on that . Gonna be a nice build .

I saw him live way ( way ) back when . 17 rows from the stage . He walked out , stopped and adjusted his tie and the whole place lost it . Hadn't even said a word yet .

I would have loved seeing him live! He could crack ya up with just a look or a gesture...a comedy genius!

Thanks for the kind comment!

Red

Reactions: chopsaw
I would have loved seeing him live! He could crack ya up with just a look or a gesture...a comedy genius!

Thanks for the kind comment!

Red
One of my favorite comedian for sure. I’ve read his book he wrote about his life. Pretty interesting. You should read it.
Some great one liners in CaddyShack.
“You wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?”

One of my favorite comedian for sure. I’ve read his book he wrote about his life. Pretty interesting. You should read it.
Some great one liners in CaddyShack.
“You wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?”

Definitely some all time one-liners!

"The last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!'
"Whoa...did somebody step on a duck?"
"He called me a baboon - he thinks I'm his wife"

And those are just some of Dangerfield's lines.

Red

Looks great. Coupla comments: you need a circle cutter attachment for your plasma cutter! That bung cutout would have been a much smaller circle. Also, I think the reason your door didn't move much when you cut it into the tank is the 5/16" thickness. All the thin tanks I've cut into moved after door cutout, no matter how I did the cutout. And the thick tank (3/8" wall) I did recently didn't move *at all* when I cut in the doors. Anyway, that's what I think, YMMV.

A patio smoker has to be able to roll around, which means you need some kind of handle. I notice you added a hella stout loop to the cold end - is that going to be your handle? Very clean solution if so. I chose to fabricate steel wheels which meant axles and steering knuckles and all that joy. It's cool to have steel wheels which are turnable but it was an awful lot of work. Very tempting to have just used casters as you did.

seattlepitboss

Oh, and rent an engine hoist to pick up your firebox and fit it to your cooker.

hangingFirebox.jpg

Looks great. Coupla comments: you need a circle cutter attachment for your plasma cutter! That bung cutout would have been a much smaller circle. Also, I think the reason your door didn't move much when you cut it into the tank is the 5/16" thickness. All the thin tanks I've cut into moved after door cutout, no matter how I did the cutout. And the thick tank (3/8" wall) I did recently didn't move *at all* when I cut in the doors. Anyway, that's what I think, YMMV.

A patio smoker has to be able to roll around, which means you need some kind of handle. I notice you added a hella stout loop to the cold end - is that going to be your handle? Very clean solution if so. I chose to fabricate steel wheels which meant axles and steering knuckles and all that joy. It's cool to have steel wheels which are turnable but it was an awful lot of work. Very tempting to have just used casters as you did.

seattlepitboss

While I appreciate the tips, I should mention that I do have a circle cutter - I just didn't use it to cut out that bung. My thinking at the time was that I wanted a square hole with nice straight edges to fit up for a clean weld. I figured out after the fact that it didn't really make much difference and I could have just circle-cut the bung out.

And I agree that a factor in no sprung door is the thickness of the tank...but in caution, I was still careful to take my time and allow for some cool-down during plasma cutting to reduce the chance of heat-warping.

Oh, and rent an engine hoist to pick up your firebox and fit it to your cooker.

View attachment 662055

Again, appreciate the tip, but I have an overhead chain hoist in my shop, as well as a floor jack if needed for leveling or an assist...so I really don't need an engine hoist.

And BTW, not sure if that pic is the same smoker or not, but I followed your 80 gallon RF build thread from a few months back...nice build!

Red

It's been a minute since I updated this build. I had to delay my smoker build for a while, because of a couple of other projects that took precedence - the biggest of which is, the missus decided she wanted our bathrooms remodeled...so I spent several weeks working on that project.

Now that the bathrooms are finished, I'm back in the shop trying to wrap up this build. Lots of little things left to complete, but I feel like I'm in the home stretch.

So I got the firebox assembly all complete and ready to weld on to the cook chamber. Welded hinges and a toggle latch...then got the FB shimmed up level and plumb in preparation for welding it on.

img56.JPG

img58.JPG

Level, plumb, and clamped in place. Time to start welding.

img59.JPG

FB all welded out! Everything is still level and plumb.

img60.JPG

I also fabricated a cool-touch handle for the FB door, and got it welded on.

img61.JPG

img62.JPG

After I got the FB all welded out, I decided to add some 1/4" thick tabs at the bottom, for extra bracing.

img63.JPG

img64.JPG

Got the casters mounted up again. It's starting to look like a smoker...

img65.JPG

img66.JPG

img68.JPG

So that's where I am currently. Next, I'm probably gonna start fabricating some cooking racks, and a coal rack or basket of some kind for the FB. I still have to finish the smoke stack, and mount the main CC door to hinges. I'm also probably gonna fabricate a pull handle of some kind for the left end of the CC. Like I said, lots of little jobs left to do, but I'm getting close!

Thanks for checking it out!

Red

That is looking really really nice (text book!!).

Just a thought do you have any plans to put some angle or other form of bracing on the FB door to minimize warping? The overlap is probably enough but I thought I would at least give you something to think about......LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky