Red's 24x46 Reverse Flow Patio Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Digging this build, here is Frankenstein… I have cut i to it several times since building it 8 years or so ago. Getting ready to out a new stack on it. Glad I didn’t paint it. I like the rusty look.

Thanks man! Nice smoker! I considered leaving the natural look and just oiling the exterior…but in end, I already have the paint, so I’m using it!

Red

Reactions: killerb468
Hey Red, just going to offer a suggestion.....I would recommend a rack slot that sits 3 inches above the lower rack..... IE this way you can have a drip pan under say a turkey or rib roast etc. It's an easy add now......

Reactions: seenred
Hey Red, just going to offer a suggestion.....I would recommend a rack slot that sits 3 inches above the lower rack..... IE this way you can have a drip pan under say a turkey or rib roast etc. It's an easy add now......

Not a bad idea! And you're right - it's an easy add now.

Thanks Brother!
Red

Reactions: civilsmoker
Not a bad idea! And you're right - it's an easy add now.

Thanks Brother!
Red
You are welcome, I'm a huge braise cook or gravy pan cooking and most smokers just don't have this option.....I'm even going to mod my Recteq this summer to have a similar 3" slot as my top rack is too high for large items.

Very nice build. Is it comlete yet?

First off, thanks for the kind words. No...it's not complete yet. I just updated the build thread last night with pics of fabricating the cooking grates...and commented in that post that I still have several steps to complete before it's finished. Perhaps you haven't read the entire thread?

That is looking awesome Red. Well thought out !

Thanks buddy! It has taken me longer to finish than it might have because I've gone slow...trying plan out every step ahead of time, hoping to eliminate a boneheaded mistake that might cost me more time and money. Just plodding along... :emoji_wink:

Nice build looks good!

Thanks Peachey!

I believe his last update is where it stands ...

Yep :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for picking up my slack Keith!

Red

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
Appreciate all the the positive feedback guys!

This is as good a time as any for a quick update. I’ve got the cooking racks complete.

Worked on the lower, main cooking rack first. Started by laying out the rails and making sure they’re square and level...then getting them welding in place.

View attachment 665099

View attachment 665100

Next I fabricated the lower main rack - in 2 pieces. and checked the fit.

Initially, my plan was to have the lower rack slide out...but because I wanted to be able to use the extra space that goes all the way to the right end-plate, I changed my mind. I built it in 2 pieces, so it's removable...but not slide-out.

View attachment 665093

Then I got the expanded metal cut and spot-welded to the rack frames.

Main rack is roughly 35" x 23".

View attachment 665094

The upper rack does slide out. It took me a little time to figure out how to get the runners level and square and welded in place...then got the rack framed and expanded metal spot welded on.

I wanted a 7" clearance between the bottom and top racks...so you could put large pork butts or even whole chickens on the bottom, and still have room for briskets or ribs on top.

Top rack is roughly 32"x 18".

View attachment 665095

View attachment 665096

View attachment 665097

View attachment 665098

As I said in the last update, it's mostly just small but time-consuming jobs left. Next up, I'll probably build a coal rack for the FB. Also thinking about an ash pan.

Before I get the smoke stack attached, while I can still flip this heavy mother upside down, I think I'll do the paint prep and get the belly and some of the bottom parts painted while they're easier to reach.

Then the smoke stack, a log/storage rack in the bottom of the cart, and fabricate some handles for the sliding dampers on the FB. Still want to fabricate a pull handle on the right end of the cook chamber...and still have to weld hinges on the main door and get that mounted. By that time, it'll be close enough to build a fire in it!

At this point everything is going slow...but it shouldn't be long now!

Thanks for checking in!!

Red
hi Red, I'm designing a smoker with dimensions almost identical to yours.
I was wondering how much distance did you keep between top surface of baffle plate and top surface of main cooking rack (where the meat is placed).
In my design now I have roughly 3 inches, but I don’t know if this value is good or not.

I was wondering how much distance did you keep between top surface of baffle plate and top surface of main cooking rack (where the meat is placed).
In my design now I have roughly 3 inches, but I don’t know if this value is good or not

You want as much space as you can get... The height of the opening from the firebox to the cook chamber will pretty much dictate the height of the reverse flow (baffle) plate...

In my design now I have roughly 3 inches, but I don’t know if this value is good or not.

Like Keith ( JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 ) said, the baffle plate’s position is pretty much predetermined by your FB opening. You have a little discretion about how to position the main cooking grate, but if you’re like me, you’ll want it as close to the dead center of your barrel as you can get - for maximum cooking grate area.

On the whole, I’d say 3” is pretty good…that’s a bit more than I got.

When you get your build underway, I hope you’ll post a build thread here so we can follow!
:emoji_thumbsup:
Red

Reactions: Fabione_IT85
Good Sunday, SMF Brothers and Sisters!

The progress on the build has slowed down some - partly because it's hot as hades in my shop in July and August...but also because I've been occupied with a few family things. One of which is a vacation to the Grand Canyon with Mrs. Red and her mother...which I'll probably share in a "Blowing Smoke" thread sometime soon.

Anyway, here's where my current progress stands. It's getting real close...just a handful of small steps to get done, then paint or oil finish.

So I think the last step I posted was fabricating cooking racks. Next job was fabbing a log rack for the FB, and welding in some runners so it can slide in/out.

img79.jpg

img80.jpg

Next I worked on a storage rack for the bottom of the cart.

Welded in a couple of cross braces for added support, then expanded metal cut to fit, and clamped in place so I could spot weld it.

img81.jpg

img82.jpg

Next I worked on the smoke stack. Plasma-cut out the opening in the top of the smoke collector, then tacked on the stack. It's 4x4 square tubing...I think 11 ga. wall and 24" tall.

img83.jpg

Stack all welded out.

img84.jpg

img85.jpg

Time to work on the main CC door assembly. First, I went ahead and applied Nomex gasket around the entire door assembly. Important to do this step before welding on the hinges. If you wait and add the gasket after the hinges are mounted, the door won't fit correctly.

Next I fabricated a door handle. To save some time and trouble, I bought a pair of laser cut handle brackets from a smoker parts supplier, then just welded in the round bar stock with the stainless cool-touch spring handle.

img89.jpg

After taping some shims to the bottom and sides of the door opening - just to make sure the door is centered in the opening, I strapped the door in place so it couldn't move around while I worked on the hinge placement.

Next, time to get the hinges lined up, plumbed, and tack in place. I used a length of threaded rod to line up the hinges nice and straight.

img86.jpg

img88.jpg

Got the hinges welded out. The hinge installation on the main CC door is a step I'd been dreading. Lots of ways to screw this up and end up with bound-up hinges or a door that's not straight. I'm actually very happy with how it turned out. Door is centered and the hinges work well!

img90.jpg

img91.jpg

img92.jpg

The hinges I bought - probably from the same supplier where I got the handle brackets - are made with a built-in stop...so I don't have to fabricate a stop to hold the door off when it's open.

img93.jpg

img94.jpg

Unless I'm forgetting something, here's what's left on the to do list.

- I want to fabricate some kind of pull handle for the left end of the pit. Probably gonna just use some sq. tubing to make that.
- I've got to drill a hole and mount the thermometer in the door.
- I found some small heat proof knobs I'm gonna mount to both FB dampers so you can adjust the inlet dampers without burning yourself.
- I've got to design and fabricate a hinged damper/cap for the top of the stack. My current plan is to keep this simple, using a piece of 1/4" plate and welding it to a swiveling mount
- Haven't decided for sure, but if it'll fit, I might fabricate a front shelf - maybe 10-12 inches.
- Also considering drilling a hole in the end of the CC for a probe wire port...haven't decided for sure yet.

Other than that short list of small jobs, the last big thing to do is coating. My original plan was to paint it. I already bought a bunch of high temp paint...but I'm beginning to second guess the paint. First off, I hate painting! Plus, even high-heat paint doesn't hold up very well to the temperatures the FB reach.

I'm beginning to lean more towards applying a boiled linseed oil coating, and heat-curing it. It seems it'd be easier than painting, and I kinda like the look of most of the pits I've seen coated this way.

Any you guys done a linseed oil coating? If so, please give me some pointers on how to do it right. Can it really be as simple as applying a coat of oil, then running a really hot fire until the oil bakes in? Also, what about the cart? If I oil that too, is there a trick to getting it heat-cured?

I'd appreciate any tips! And thanks for checking out the build progress!

Red

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky