• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Red wine braised venison stew

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Looks tasty. Nice photography...JJ

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Looks wonderful, gives me a plan what to do with one of the roasts I have.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
Ohhh! WOW! That looks amazing! Picture perfect- carousel nomination worthy even!
Congrats!

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Awesome! I make a dish very similar....sure is a good meal on a cold day! Like!

Ty520

Joined Feb 25, 2021
Thanks, all!

Definitely would have been more appropriate in winter - not on a 93* day.

a little gamier than I wanted, but it was shot in the wild by my father in law, so beggars can't be choosers

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
WOW that looks amazing!
Nicely done!!
Al

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
3 pounds cubed venison seared in drippings of fried lardons, then braised for 3 hours in a bottle of pinot noir with carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bouquet garnis, and mushrooms, served with a baguette, and a bottle of 2018 pinot noir

View attachment 496131
Hi there and welcome!!!

I highly urge you to try this with Venison Shank and Heal meat. Most people throw away this part of the deer due to all the tendon and silver skin BUT if you cut the meat away from the bone, cube it up, and braise it.... all that extra tissue turns into magnificent flavor in the dish. Simply out of this world and in my family is arguably the most flavorful part of the Deer :)

Last edited:

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
That Looks Excellent, Ty!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

pineywoods

Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
It looks very good and I'd eat it no matter what the temp outside is. I cook venison any time of the year and you just made me want to get some out and defrost it lol

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Great job on a great looking plate.

Warren

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I’d sure love to have some of that. Looks very rich and tasty.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Damn, that looks flat out killer!!!

I can't deer hunt any more because of a super jacked up spine and nerve damage in my legs from spinal surgeries.

That is one meal I truly miss these days. So now the only time I get to eat veneson is when a buddy gifts it to me or invites me over for supper. ( I must've missed you call).:emoji_expressionless::emoji_joy:

Have you tried Pablano peppers in your braising liquid? It's awesome in beef stew as well.
If not you really should, it's amazing what it does to that dish. I cut the peppers into 1'' strips then cut the strips into 1''x 1/2'' cubes. Then make up a batch of Bisquick drop dumplings or biscuits for that dish I really enjoy the dumplings though......Try it if you haven't.

My mom would make this for us as soon as the deer aged a week or two in the walk in.
Neck meat is perfect for this dish because it braises down really well.

Hell of a job!!!

Dan👍👍👍

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
all my favorite things are in the stew! Mostly venison and wine. looks amazing! big like

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.