Red wine braised venison stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ty520

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
3 pounds cubed venison seared in drippings of fried lardons, then braised for 3 hours in a bottle of pinot noir with carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bouquet garnis, and mushrooms, served with a baguette, and a bottle of 2018 pinot noir

0512211733b~2.jpg

Looks tasty. Nice photography...JJ

Thanks, all!

Definitely would have been more appropriate in winter - not on a 93* day.

a little gamier than I wanted, but it was shot in the wild by my father in law, so beggars can't be choosers

Reactions: JLeonard
3 pounds cubed venison seared in drippings of fried lardons, then braised for 3 hours in a bottle of pinot noir with carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bouquet garnis, and mushrooms, served with a baguette, and a bottle of 2018 pinot noir

View attachment 496131

Hi there and welcome!!!

I highly urge you to try this with Venison Shank and Heal meat. Most people throw away this part of the deer due to all the tendon and silver skin BUT if you cut the meat away from the bone, cube it up, and braise it.... all that extra tissue turns into magnificent flavor in the dish. Simply out of this world and in my family is arguably the most flavorful part of the Deer :)

Last edited:
Reactions: olaf
It looks very good and I'd eat it no matter what the temp outside is. I cook venison any time of the year and you just made me want to get some out and defrost it lol

Reactions: 912smoker
Damn, that looks flat out killer!!!

I can't deer hunt any more because of a super jacked up spine and nerve damage in my legs from spinal surgeries.

That is one meal I truly miss these days. So now the only time I get to eat veneson is when a buddy gifts it to me or invites me over for supper. ( I must've missed you call).:emoji_expressionless::emoji_joy:

Have you tried Pablano peppers in your braising liquid? It's awesome in beef stew as well.
If not you really should, it's amazing what it does to that dish. I cut the peppers into 1'' strips then cut the strips into 1''x 1/2'' cubes. Then make up a batch of Bisquick drop dumplings or biscuits for that dish I really enjoy the dumplings though......Try it if you haven't.

My mom would make this for us as soon as the deer aged a week or two in the walk in.
Neck meat is perfect for this dish because it braises down really well.

Hell of a job!!!

Dan👍👍👍

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky