• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Red Spots in Cured Ham

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Was it a killed and butchered hog? Wild or domestic? Wet or dry cured? Bled out properly? I would suspect blood clotting in the muscles! Probably safe to eat once reaching an internal temp of over 160°!

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Was the Cure Injected. What were the ingredients? Looks to me like one of the cure ingredients didn't disperse within the meat...JJ

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
I have seen this bloodshot or blood clots before. From what I’ve read it comes from not being properly stuck and chilled. Last fall I had someone off me a free pig just needed picked up. After Killing, sticking then 1.5 hour ride home the hams were full of blood clots. I didn’t even cure them. Tossed them out.

Kevin Braker

Fire Starter
Joined May 21, 2018
I have seen this bloodshot or blood clots before. From what I’ve read it comes from not being properly stuck and chilled. Last fall I had someone off me a free pig just needed picked up. After Killing, sticking then 1.5 hour ride home the hams were full of blood clots. I didn’t even cure them. Tossed them out.
It would of been fine for making sausage or just cooking. No real discernible affect on taste, just looks icky.

josiegirl

Joined Jul 2, 2020
the hams off my pig my husband slaughtered looked like that too. probably didn't bleed him right. However I did cure one ham, and turned the other into grind. Didn't notice it at all in the finished ham. Someone said to cook it to 160 is that right? How come?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.